Getting bad work unit (Unreleased driver issue)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Getting bad work unit

Post by bruce »

Thanks for the info. We'll pass it on to others who may be in the same situation.

I think it's fair to assume that MS/nV will figure out and release drivers that will successfully work either inside or outside of WSL.
Tetnacious

Re: Getting bad work unit (Unreleased driver issue)

Post by Tetnacious »

Same thing.
On windows insider fast ring, geforce 460.15.
Running RTX 2060 S.
Note clCreateContext fails anywhere with "NVIDIA CUDA", this is not FAH specific.

Also note, 222 is the least significant byte in the error code -34 CL_INVALID_CONTEXT, which is the actual error.
This is quite confusing, and it'd be better to show the actual error codes. This prompt is only useful for developers anyway.
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

UPDATE - Windows has automatically updated the driver to 460.15 which has once again stopped FAH from working. Tried DDU in Safe Mode and before I could install 452.06 it loaded in 460.15 after restarting. I wonder if this is in the Windows Insider Preview ISO so Windows doesn't need to download it.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

silverpulser wrote:...I wonder if this is in the Windows Insider Preview ISO so Windows doesn't need to download it.
Assuming you have disconnected the internet, you can manually uninstall the drivers and continue. Also, it's something that the people over that Microsoft Forum might be able sort out. Do keep us posted on your findings :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Tetnacious

Post by Tetnacious »

silverpulser wrote:UPDATE - Windows has automatically updated the driver to 460.15 ...
You can disable update for a specific device, this doesn't have a UI though, it's in the group policy and you need the hardware IDs.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146 ... river.html
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

I had already clicked on Pause updates for 7 days before running DDU in Safe Mode. As that didn't resolve the problem I downloaded 452.06 from the Nvidia site and ran it. It has replaced 460.15 and over last night has continued to run FAH without failing. GPU-Z reports 452.06 is still the driver today. I will continue to watch and report my findings. I have submitted a report to the Feedback Hub and included the link on my observations on the conversations on page 4 of the Windows Insider forum discussion on the latest build
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

24 hours later and still folding with the 452.06 driver.
JohnChodera
Pande Group Member

Post by JohnChodera »

Glad the driver rollback worked!

We've been working with some good folks at NVIDIA to better understand these failures, so if you have complete details on how to reproduce the issue, that would be super helpful!

~ John Chodera // MSKCC
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

Would you like me to install the 460.15 driver again? As a matter of interest the Windows Insider/Dev channel upgrades to a new build each Wednesday. I am expecting that this will probably load in the 460.15 driver during the upgrade to the new build.
JohnChodera
Pande Group Member

Post by JohnChodera »

@silverpulser: If you want to experiment with this, it would be better to do it in the #core22 development slack I invited you to since we have an NVIDIA rep working with the driver team who can help guide you through specific tests!

~ John Chodera // MSKCC
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

OK, have accepted the invite and posted first msg.
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

Tetnacious wrote:Same thing.
On windows insider fast ring, geforce 460.15.
Running RTX 2060 S.
Note clCreateContext fails anywhere with "NVIDIA CUDA", this is not FAH specific.

Also note, 222 is the least significant byte in the error code -34 CL_INVALID_CONTEXT, which is the actual error.
This is quite confusing, and it'd be better to show the actual error codes. This prompt is only useful for developers anyway.
The driver has now been updated to 460.20 and after a couple of hours testing I can confirm that the problem looks to be resolved with this release.
Tetnacious

Post by Tetnacious »

silverpulser wrote:The driver has now been updated to 460.20 and after a couple of hours testing I can confirm that the problem looks to be resolved with this release.
Had to get it from NVIDIA developer website, did not get it in driver updates.
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda/wsl/download