Frequently downloading work units with expirations too short

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MajorCaliber

Re: Frequently downloading work units with expirations too s

Post by MajorCaliber »

I'm not sure what to do in your case. You are on the right track with deleting the slots and re-creating them. I use one CPU slot and one GPU slot, so I only have to delete and re-create the GPU slot which is the only one that ever has the problem. I don't know how it would work with two CPU slots. That may be the reason for your problem. Why do you have two CPU slots running? I'm hardly an expert on the internals of the program, but I would expect that your available CPU cycles are being split between the two slots so each takes twice as long to complete. This all would come out in the wash if it were not for expiration, but it is a problem with it. I would try deleting one slot and letting the remaining one go at full speed and I would expect it to finish twice as fast. I have a single CPU with 4 cores and 8 threads. They can all work on one slot and one work unit at the same time. If you truly have two CPU's perhaps they cannot both work on one work unit at the same time? Can you not just dump the one slot with the doomed work unit? On the other hand If I misunderstand the workings of the program, would somebody with more knowledge please set me straight.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: limiting WU selection to short ones?

Post by foldy »

You can install linux on mac mini to use GPU if supported
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: limiting WU selection to short ones?

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum sejtam,

Would it be possible for you to report what project that was? Reason is that we might be able to do something on the Project level to prevent those Projects from being assigned but there's no guarantee given the constraints.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

MajorCaliber has the correct understanding, 1 CPU Slot per system where you can allocate as much of the CPUs as you want to fold.

While there's no way to select WUs with short deadlines, sharing the Project details might allow us to talk to the researchers and potentially come up with a solution.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

MajorCaliber wrote:I'm not sure what to do in your case. You are on the right track with deleting the slots and re-creating them. I use one CPU slot and one GPU slot, so I only have to delete and re-create the GPU slot which is the only one that ever has the problem. I don't know how it would work with two CPU slots. That may be the reason for your problem. Why do you have two CPU slots running? I'm hardly an expert on the internals of the program, but I would expect that your available CPU cycles are being split between the two slots so each takes twice as long to complete. This all would come out in the wash if it were not for expiration, but it is a problem with it. I would try deleting one slot and letting the remaining one go at full speed and I would expect it to finish twice as fast. I have a single CPU with 4 cores and 8 threads. They can all work on one slot and one work unit at the same time. If you truly have two CPU's perhaps they cannot both work on one work unit at the same time? Can you not just dump the one slot with the doomed work unit? On the other hand If I misunderstand the workings of the program, would somebody with more knowledge please set me straight.
If you are configuring two CPU slots on he same system, that's the wrong thing to be doing. A single CPU with 8 threads can be configured so that all 8 threads work on a single assignment or two slots can be allocated with 4 threads each. The latter is wrong thing to do because you'll get two different WUs assigned and they'll both run at half speed.

I don't see where you posted the top ~100 lines of your log so we can only guess how your system is configured. See below if you need help finding that information.

Perhaps there is a problem with terminology. I haven't seen a Mac-Mini in many years, but my memory is that they contain a dual CPU in a single socket. FAH calls them CPUs but they're really not in separate sockets so they're treated like separate threads even though each has a dedicated FPU rather than being hyperthreaded devices sharing a single FPU. If memory serves, they all can be allocated to work on a single assignment in a single slot.