install on MACOS Big Sur

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

shochberg

install on MACOS Big Sur

Post by shochberg »

Can't install on my new Mac that has Big Sur OS. When I run the installer, the system claims it was not signed, so can't be verified.

Ran fine on my older system for months. I have the previous version already installed on the new machine (from machine to machine transfer) but can't figure out how to "start" it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: install on MACOS Big Sur

Post by Joe_H »

Last year Apple changed the requirements for getting an app signed for Mojave and later versions of the OS. Even though the app is not distributed through the App Store, the new requirements are very similar to what would be required for that. I understand the developer is looking into getting he F@h client signed under the new requirements, but some of the normal activities of the software are not normally permitted under the more stringent policies.

You can override the Gatekeeper blocking of the install. There is a problem with the FAHControl included in the latest version of the client, 7.6.21, it will not open. The FAHControl from version 7.6.13 does work.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
shochberg

Post by shochberg »

Thank you. I have 7.6.13 installed, from my old machine, but cannot figure out how to get it started.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

If you just copied over the Folding@home folder in Applications from your old machine to the new one, that only gets part of the client install. Check to see if you still have the installer package in the Downloads folder and run that. If you don't have that, 7.6.13 can be downloaded from here - https://download.foldingathome.org/rele ... 4.mpkg.zip.

Gatekeeper can be overridden by going to the Security & Privacy control panel in System Preferences after trying to run the installer, details on this page - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491. You will get an option there to open the installer anyways. The files for the Applications folder will get installed, the background FAHClient part of the client will be installed where it goes, and the script to start FAHClient will be added.

If you don't still have your passkey email you can get a copy of the config.xml file from you old machine. That will be located in /Library/Applicaton Support/FAHClient. You can open config.xml in TextEdit to copy and paste the passkey into the new install.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3