I disabled FAH at startup, can I enable it again?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Familyman_19

I disabled FAH at startup, can I enable it again?

Post by Familyman_19 »

During a reinstall of FAH some time ago I disabled FAH at startup on accident. It isn't a huge deal as this PC is on 24/7, but after a Windows update the system typically reboots and I'm left with folding "paused" until I start it back up again. Can I enable FAH at startup without an uninstall/reinstall? I haven't found that option in the preferences, maybe I missed it?
bruce

Re: I disabled FAH at startup, can I enable it again?

Post by bruce »

The reinstall process is intended to be simple enough to allow you to do it without damaging anything ... but of courlse if you've tweaked your system, you'll have to re-tweak the new version. You must have disabled the startup script that's run when the system reboots, and you should be able to re-enable it using the same technique in reverse.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

There are two possibilities that I can not distinguish between based on what you have posted. First, by default the F@h installer sets it up to have the FAHClient process start up in the background every time the system starts. There is a checkoff in the Windows installer to disable that. If FAHClient is what you need to start manually, that is probably what you did in the past. You can use Task Manager to see if FAHClient is running.

I don't know of an easy way to change this short of a reinstall.

If FAHClient is running already, but you need to start the folding using Web Control or the Advanced Control, then you would have added the 'pause-on-start' option and set it to 'true' at some point. That would show up in you log files or the config.xml file. You can remove that option using FAHControl

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

In the future, do not disable the automatic startup of FAHClient. It's a daemon that only moves data around when it needs to be moved. You don't disable the printer daemon just because you not doing any printing today. The Printer daemon only works when you print something from some other application.

If you want to stop an active protein that's folding, use WebControl or FAHControl to FINISH or PAUSE that assignment and FAHCore_xx will stop using resources for FAH.
gs60

Post by gs60 »

If fah is not running at windows startup, you can go to settings, apps, startup and see if the program hideconsole is there and enabled. This is the startup program for fah. You can also view the status or re-enable hideconsole from the task manager tab startup.
bruce

Post by bruce »

gs60 wrote:... the program HideConsole is ... the startup program for fah.
That's half way true for Windows (and totally different for MacOS and Linux). There are 4 important steps in that startup. Funamentally, FAHClient is started in the recommended directory where it keeps it's files. Secondarily, it starts FAHControl so the person who did the installation can see it worked. HideConsole prevents FAHClient from flooding your screen with messages you don't want to see on your desktop.
Familyman_19

Post by Familyman_19 »

Joe_H wrote:There are two possibilities that I can not distinguish between based on what you have posted. First, by default the F@h installer sets it up to have the FAHClient process start up in the background every time the system starts. There is a checkoff in the Windows installer to disable that. If FAHClient is what you need to start manually, that is probably what you did in the past. You can use Task Manager to see if FAHClient is running.

I don't know of an easy way to change this short of a reinstall.

If FAHClient is running already, but you need to start the folding using Web Control or the Advanced Control, then you would have added the 'pause-on-start' option and set it to 'true' at some point. That would show up in you log files or the config.xml file. You can remove that option using FAHControl
I'm pretty sure I unticked the box during install. Sounds like a reinstall is in order then. That's fine. I don't have anything special set up so it shouldn't be difficult.

Thanks all!