Whitelist Request for AMD HD6750/6770

Post requests to add new GPUs to the official whitelist here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Whitelist Request for AMD HD6750/6770

Post by Joe_H »

It probably is CPU:1 all the time, no setting in the GPU slot configuration section for setting the number of CPU threads. Could potentially be fixed, but not certain of the side effects. In any case a normal CPU slot was also configured.

Fortunately this is a corner case, and not seen very often. Possibly if a comment section could be added to the top of GPUs.txt indicating it should not be edited by the end user, that would be a step towards avoiding. I understand some have asked for such describing the fields in the past, the two could be combined. What changes would be needed on the server side, that would be up to Joseph.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

The GPUs.txt file is designed to quickly exclude deprecated GPUs. The EULA prohibits hacking FAH's files and the first line of the file does, in fact, warn you not to edit it. [FAH can't prevent you from editing it, but they can verify that GPUs that have been deprecated will not interfere with scientific progress.]

In fact, the server's work-around to give you a CPU:1 WU to work on is a recent enhancement which allows your system to accomplish a little research rather than a net negative research when it accumulates GPU errors, so that's a good thing, even though it's not perfect.
technic58

Post by technic58 »

Thanks for the information, guys. I'm glad that the program safely handles my "hacking" and just works on a CPU WU rather than completing and submitting some gibberish. Agreed that some additional commenting either in the GPUs.txt file, or in the log file, might be helpful for the end user. But I understand that this would impact a very limited number of users, and development time is probably scarce.
i5-6400 || MSI B150M Mortar Motherboard || 2x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2400 || 2xAMD FirePro W2100 || Corsair CX600 PSU
bruce

Post by bruce »

The file GPUs.txt is not designed to contain comments. I had to create a dummy GPU and you still didn't read the comment. It would be a thankless effort.

The server code that gives you a CPU assignment is an undocumented function that is doing the best that can be done for hackers who try to circumvent control of blacklisted GPUS.