Hash Algorithm Limiter on RTX 3xxx series cards

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
DocJonz
Hardware configuration: Folding with: 4x RTX 4070Ti, 1x RTX 3070

Hash Algorithm Limiter on RTX 3xxx series cards

Post by DocJonz »

Do we know if the limiters being placed on hash algorithms by nVidia will have any unintended consequences in regard to algorithms used for Folding@Home, and therefore Folding performance?
Or are there no issues at all?
... I wouldn't want to fork out on a card (if we can ever get hold of one ...) only to find it doesn't Fold to its full potential :D
Folding Stats (HFM.NET): DocJonz Folding Farm Stats
JimboPalmer

Re: Hash Algorithm Limiter on RTX 3xxx series cards

Post by JimboPalmer »

I have a RTX 3060. So far as I know, all RTX 3060 are limited from Ethereum. I am getting 1.9M PPD. It is 2.5 times as fast as my GTX 1060, which seems reasonable.

My understanding is that some other newer cards are getting rate limited, but they are not released yet. Once they are released, some one has bought one and told us the card ID for GPUs.txt, they can find out. I bet we know by June 1.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

I didn't find a public review yet, either.

I, too, have been wondering about what will happen to FAH performance.
DocJonz
Hardware configuration: Folding with: 4x RTX 4070Ti, 1x RTX 3070

Post by DocJonz »

I did wonder whether the F@H team who tied up with nVidia engineers to develop CUDA support for F@H in September last year already had this discussion ... perhaps someone on the F@H team could enlighten us?
Folding Stats (HFM.NET): DocJonz Folding Farm Stats
iero

Post by iero »

I do not think that there was ever an issue of the hash limiter affecting F@h. The only thing they limit is ETH Hash, other cryptos are unaffected by the drivers. As anecdotal evidence, take my card, still using a driver prior to the BETA set that reverted the limit.
My card is running power capped at 52%[99W] at an avg 1,6M PPD. I will update my drivers after the current WU ends, and will keep my eye out for any change in performance.
JimboPalmer wrote:I have a RTX 3060. So far as I know, all RTX 3060 are limited from Ethereum. I am getting 1.9M PPD. It is 2.5 times as fast as my GTX 1060, which seems reasonable.

My understanding is that some other newer cards are getting rate limited, but they are not released yet. Once they are released, some one has bought one and told us the card ID for GPUs.txt, they can find out. I bet we know by June 1.
That 1,9M PPD seems to be accurate with the later drivers. I had the first set of drivers until this morning and I had never seen above 1,77M PPD :eo .
GPU only
RTX 3060 12GB Gigabyte Gaming OC [currently mining]
Folding since 14/02/2021