Attempt to Treat Covid-19 with EM waves

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

ryoji

Attempt to Treat Covid-19 with EM waves

Post by ryoji »

Hello,
I am Ryoji, new here and not an expert to discuss with you well. However, I just wrote a paper (slide) to show how we can use molecular dynamics directly to treatment by finding molecular’s natural vibrations, this time for covid-19. I am wondering if you read it and it may be a hint to start new computing.
Thank you.
doi: 10.5281/zenodo.4922594
bruce

Re: Attempt to Treat Covid-19 with EM waves

Post by bruce »

I don't know how to find your paper from "doi: 10.5281/zenodo.4922594" Google gives me a variety of options, none of which are precise.
ryoji

Post by ryoji »

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the link didn't make sense. Here is the correct one,
https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4922594
In this slide, the computing is designed to use a blockchain called Solana. I am wondering if it can be modified to fasten distributed computing.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

ryoji wrote:a blockchain called Solana.
Here we are ! :roll:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
ryoji

Post by ryoji »

Dear toTOW,

Do you know Solana? Do you think it can be modified to compute foldings efficiently? I am thinking if we can start a project on Solana. Or my computing method can be applied to Folding@Home as well.
What do you think?

Thank you,

Ryoji
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

What do you use to calculate the molecular dynamics? If you're using OpenMM or GROMACS in your simulations, then Folding@Home can support those calculations without the added complexity of using blockchains or NFTs.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
ryoji

Post by ryoji »

Dear gunnarre,

Please check out the article of Proof of History (forget about NFT this time). It explains Solana has unique parallel computing.
https://medium.com/solana-labs/proof-of ... 47a61a9274
I think whether OpenMM or GROMACS, it can be applied to optimize distributed computing.
NFT might be useful to manage and facilitate finding the natural vibration of target proteins because we need to calculate a wide range of frequency and intensity.
But yes, without blockchains or NFTs, I believe finding the natural vibrations leads to the development of new medical treatment as proposed. How about trying this project on Folding@Home?

Thank you,

Ryoji
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

If you can propose a molecular dynamics experiment in GROMACS or OpenMM that would advance the understanding of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, I would suggest that you get in touch with the Folding at Home Consortium and propose a project: https://foldingathome.org/about/the-fol ... onsortium/

We're likely not going to use time or energy on blockchains or NFTs. There are some folding teams which have an interest in that, but those are outside the scope of this support forum and outside the scope of the scientists as well.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
ryoji

Post by ryoji »

Thank you for your advice.
I will check out the site.
Hopfgeist
Hardware configuration: Dell T420, 2x Xeon E5-2470 v2, NetBSD 10, SunFire X2270 M2, 2x Xeon X5675, NetBSD 9; various other Linux/NetBSD PCs, Macs and virtual servers.

Post by Hopfgeist »

That's not a research paper. That's a very rough presentation of a wild idea with absolutely no scientific foundation whatsoever. Didn't Trump suggest the same? Using EM radiation (light) to kill the virus inside the body? He was rightly ridiculed for that.

Apart from the impracticality of the idea, I think a few very basic questions need to be answered first.

* What is your medical or molecular biology education and research track record?
* What is your "computing method"?
* How do you propose to irradiate only the virus selectively (it circulates the bloodstream, and is never isolated)?
* What is the basis for your assertion that 50°C won't damage human tissue?
* Where is any previous research work about using vibration stimulation to break up proteins inside the body?
* Those citations that do talk about manipulating molecules with EM radiation are patent applications. Patent applications do not need to demonstrate efficacy, let alone practicality, or even theoretical possibility
* The Patent applications talk about terahertz EM waves, whereas this "paper" continues to talk about 2.45GHz and 1 MHz.
* How would additional computational overhead (blockchain) benefit work distribution above and beyond what FAH achieves? (Which is: almost all CPUs and GPUs work almost all the time)

Without a track record, or at least answering some of these basic questions, nobody is going to take you seriously, because you haven't proven that you can come up with useful and practical ideas.

Cheers,
HG
Dell PowerEdge T420: 2x Xeon E5-2470 v2
ryoji

Post by ryoji »

Dear HG,
Thank you for reading my slide and share your thoughts. I am proposing my idea to some organizations. This week from Jul 8 to 9, I will attend the annual meeting of supercomputer users in Japan. I will open a discussion panel on Slack for two days and have a zoom presentation from 13:30 to 14:00 (UTC +9) on Jul 9th. So I am glad to have some communications here before it and hope you could attend it as well if possible. Unfortunately, I could not find a full English site but you can visit it and find my name at the bottom
https://jhpcn-kyoten.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/sympo/13th
The guest speaker is Dr. Daniel Rückert from the University of Munich, you may know him. I would like to answer your questions one by one as much as possible.

* What is your medical or molecular biology education and research track record?
> I am a nonscientific expert but had written some physics-related papers for over 20 years. (You may find them at http://www.ryoji.info). I just started to learn medical or molecular biology after the Coronavirus pandemic.

* What is your "computing method"?
> For example, please see section 6.b. I have a link to the MD record at the bottom. It used GROMACS format. So if we use this record to find a natural vibration, GROMACS will be the easiest method to start.

* How do you propose to irradiate only the virus selectively (it circulates the bloodstream, and is never isolated)?
> There may be side effects like taking medicine affects untargeted parts. However, if we can find more precise natural vibrations, EM irradiation would reduce the side effects better than medications. And irradiation time could be for hours to the whole body if necessary with lower-level irradiation to reduce side effects. It may be better to set up a large irradiated room to place many patients at once.

* What is the basis for your assertion that 50°C won't damage human tissue?
> Most Japanese take bath every evening. And some prefer a hot bath around 50°C though I sometimes prefer below 40°C for over an hour. Also, non-thermal effects will be expected less damage to the body as answered to the last question.

* Where is any previous research work about using vibration stimulation to break up proteins inside the body?
> I have looked for this on the web for a while but I recognize it is one of the radical approaches. I can show you an article related to it.
https://www.eenewseurope.com/news/terah ... ving-cells

* Those citations that do talk about manipulating molecules with EM radiation are patent applications. Patent applications do not need to demonstrate efficacy, let alone practicality, or even theoretical possibility
> I referred to the patent because it was the unique document showing that the natural vibrations exist on high molecular like nucleobases. So yes, I referred to it as only a theoretical aspect, not as a patent.

* The Patent applications talk about terahertz EM waves, whereas this "paper" continues to talk about 2.45GHz and 1 MHz.
> As answered above, I do not think about its patent nor I do not apply a patent to my idea either. I have already contacted a co-researcher of the patent's main author who has passed away. We have never talked about the patent.

* How would additional computational overhead (blockchain) benefit work distribution above and beyond what FAH achieves? (Which is: almost all CPUs and GPUs work almost all the time)
> I am seeking a better engine for parallel computing as shown in sec 7.c. It is called Proof of History developed on a blockchain, Solana. Now I am contacting its developers if it is possible to apply to any of the MD computing. I can not answer if it can be above and beyond at the moment. Finding coronavirus's natural vibration is an emergency so I wish anyone would start it on FAH or supercomputer or other methods. I believe it could be one of the medical tools in the future. Thank you again.