ARM Version on Raspberry Pi 4 Problems

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Planorez

ARM Version on Raspberry Pi 4 Problems

Post by Planorez »

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with ubuntu-mate for arm64 and raspberry pi installed on it. I installed fahclient_7.6.21_arm64.deb on it and cannot access F@h either from the app list or a desktop icon. In the default Raspberry Pi OS Raspian, F@h shows up as an Educational item and the Control screen can be accessed from there.
F@h Control cannot be installed on this OS due to dependencies not satisfied.
Is there a way to access the F@h client from the terminal?
Thanks,
Planorez
gunnarre

Re: ARM Version on Raspberry Pi 4 Problems

Post by gunnarre »

Yes, there are command line commands you can issue with FAHClient.

Code: Select all

FAHClient --help
should show you the commands you can issue.
edit: These are the most relevant commands to issue:

--finish
      Finish all current work units, send the results, then exit.
(...)

--send-command <string>
      Send a command to an already running client.

--send-finish [string]
      Finish a slot or all slots on an already running client.

--send-pause [string]
      Pause a slot or all slots on an already running client.

--send-unpause [string]
      Unpause a slot or all slots on an already running client.
Alternatively, there are also Telnet commands that can be sent to the client, but that's a bit more advanced.

The running log file should be accessible by using

tail -f /var/lib/fahclient/log.txt
There is also a web interface at http://client.foldingathome.org.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
Planorez

Post by Planorez »

Does anyone have any ideas on why I can't see any trace of the F@h client in the apps list? I understand in the F@h client install the program is set to automatically start on boot. I would expect to see the F&h screen on my home screen if it did start and I don't see it. Any ideas?
Planorez
aetch

Post by aetch »

The FAHClient is basically a service which runs in the background, it needs either the command line or the control panel to monitor and control it.
Open a terminal window.
The command "apt list --installed *fah*" will tell you if the client is installed
The command "service --status-all" will report the status of all installed services, anything with a + beside it is running.
The command "systemctl status FAH*" will give you a bit more info on the current running status of the client.
When you fail to install FAH Control there should be a message telling you which dependencies are missing.
I would actually suggest taking a good look at the ubuntu package manager called "apt"
Use the terminal to install the missing dependencies.

Personally, I configure the client for remote access and operate it from a Windows PC using the advanced control panel. I have never used the advanced control panel in linux.
You might want to take a look at this previous post I've made on it -> viewtopic.php?f=61&t=37445&p=353256&hilit=advanced+control+panel#p353256
The config file you need to edit should be found at /etc/fahclient/config.xml
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

The advanced control panel works good on MacOS and Windows. For Linux, the advanced control panel has been open sourced, and the Github version (https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-control) is actually more likely to work than the one that's being distributed on the F@H website. (This is because the limited developer resources, but is planned to be fixed sometime.)
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
Ghost_Rider_51

Post by Ghost_Rider_51 »

I have not tried the arm version, but I just downloaded and am running the x86_64 version of 7.16.21 FAH
I initially had an issue in that the control would not work, but with a simple change to the /usr/bin/FAHControl file (python text) I was able to get it to work on my linux box running Python 3.9.

Will come back and post the link to the thread where that was discussed.
I would suspect that should also work on the arm version since it actually uses python for the control panel.

EDIT:
This is the thread where my changes were posted that made it possible to run FAHControl on linux python 3.9.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=37654