How do I set different teams for different slots?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

CaptainHalon

How do I set different teams for different slots?

Post by CaptainHalon »

So I've found info on both the folding@home website and here on the forums that confirms this can be done. But no where, on the entire internet, in the history or existence of mankind, has anyone actually stated publicly how this mysterious ritual is performed.

Where do I obtain the sacred scrolls that show of this ancient witchcraft?
hrsetrdr

Re: How do I set different teams for different slots?

Post by hrsetrdr »

Maybe someone who is proficient in XML could point the way, I suspect that editing the fahclient's config.xml file would be the way....but then again the client might explode instead.
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

Install Folding@Home on Linux without Python dependancy issues
aetch

Post by aetch »

Could you post links to the pages you are talking about.

EDIT
Nevermind, a quick google found the page and a Find got me the specific text.
https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/i ... de/?lng=en

I have not tested it but I think you would simply go into the "Extra slot options" for the relevant slot within the Advanced Control panel, add the option "team" along with the team number you want that slot to contribute to.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
CaptainHalon

Post by CaptainHalon »

So in the config XML file, I have the line <team v='000000'/> under <!-- User Information -->.

I'm guessing I delete it from there and then add that same line with the correct team numbers under each folding slot heading?

Like so:

<!-- Folding Slots -->
<slot id='1' type='GPU'>
<pci-bus v='4'/>
<pci-slot v='0'/>
<team v='111111'/>
</slot>
<slot id='2' type='GPU'>
<pci-bus v='1'/>
<pci-slot v='0'/>
<team v='222222'/>
</slot>
CaptainHalon

Post by CaptainHalon »

aetch wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:45 pm I have not tested it but I think you would simply go into the "Extra slot options" for the relevant slot within the Advanced Control panel, add the option "team" along with the team number you want that slot to contribute to.
That sounds easier. Does that effectively create the same changes as I typed in the XML example? I'm also guessing I need to remove the team number from the user information as well...not sure if the slot option would take precedent over that.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Slot options take precedent, or did the last time I tested that a couple versions back.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
aetch

Post by aetch »

I do as little direct editing of the config file as possible, it's too easy to break. I use the advanced control panel pretty much exclusively to make my changes. It validates the settings and ensures the config file is formatted correctly when it is saved. When you directly edit the config file you risk breaking the client with incorrect settings, formatting/syntax or simply losing the changes you made because the client overwrites the file with something else.
Notes:-
1). the client will only save settings when they are valid AND they deviate from the default values. So if the client saves them to your config it's probably a good sign.
2). I've seen the client take up to about 30 seconds to actually save the changes to the config file, you'll see it recorded in the log.

Do you need to remove the team number at the client level? I think not, this should still affect any slot which has not been individually set. Besides, this will simply revert back to team 0 at the client level if you do.

Will the team set at slot level take precedence over the team set at the client level? I think it will, test it and let us know how you get on.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
CaptainHalon

Post by CaptainHalon »

OK, I left my primary team as-is globally, and I just added a team value for the other team to one of the slots under extra slot options. Looks like it saved to the config file, so should be good, but will have to let it run a while and see. Will report back if it works/doesn't work.

For reference, my config file now looks like:

<config>
<!-- Network -->
<proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- User Information -->
<passkey v='fe80fe80fe80fe80fe80fe80fe80fe80'/>
<team v='111111'/>
<user v='captainhalon'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
<slot id='1' type='GPU'>
<pci-bus v='4'/>
<pci-slot v='0'/>
<team v='222222'/>
</slot>
<slot id='2' type='GPU'>
<pci-bus v='1'/>
<pci-slot v='0'/>
</slot>
</config>
CaptainHalon

Post by CaptainHalon »

Seem to work right! Thanks!
MightyMayfield

Post by MightyMayfield »

This solved a question that I had as well. Thanks.

My opinions are my own and are not affiliated with or attributed to Micro Center or Micro Electronics Inc.