Slot settings reset after reopening F@H

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Sandman192
Hardware configuration: SW: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Video Drivers v516.01
HW: ASUS - 1 EVGA GeForce 1080Ti 11GB RAM - 1 GeForce EVGA 980 4GB RAM - CPU i7-5930K 3.5GHz boost to 4GHz, 32GB of RAM

FAH v7.6.21

Slot settings reset after reopening F@H

Post by Sandman192 »

I confirmed this issue on 2 different computers that Folding at Home will reset Slot setting every time you close the client and reopening it will change (slot settings) back to default. Exp: (Slot 0) 1 CPU and all cores, (Slot 1) GPU and/or (Slot 2) GPU. I change settings on both computers to remove (Slot 1) GPU to not use that GPU and did check the config file to see if settings got saved and they did. But when I reopen the client, the settings got changed back to the default which added back (Slot 1) GPU to the config file settings and the client settings on both computers.

Windows 10 fully updated on both computers.
F@H 7.6.21
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Slot settings reset after reopening F@H

Post by toTOW »

This is the default behaviour of v7.6.21, and probably of the future client ... it detects GPUs and add slots automatically. :(

If you don't want this behaviour, use an older client like v7.6.13 ...

Other option is to not delete GPU slot but manually pause it.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Or add the option "gpus" (or is it "gpu") set to "false" under the expert tab once you have the GPU slot you want configured.

Edit: Looked it up in a verbosity 5 log I keep around for such things. The option is "gpu".

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
PaulTV

Post by PaulTV »

The latest client has the latest fixes, I wouldn't go for an older one. Alternative:
- Finish the GPU job
- Edit the settings for the GPU slot, add the option pause-on-start, and set it to true

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
Sandman192
Hardware configuration: SW: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Video Drivers v516.01
HW: ASUS - 1 EVGA GeForce 1080Ti 11GB RAM - 1 GeForce EVGA 980 4GB RAM - CPU i7-5930K 3.5GHz boost to 4GHz, 32GB of RAM

FAH v7.6.21

Post by Sandman192 »

toTOW wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:34 pm This is the default behaviour of v7.6.21, and probably of the future client ... it detects GPUs and add slots automatically. :(

If you don't want this behaviour, use an older client like v7.6.13 ...

Other option is to not delete GPU slot but manually pause it.
A default behavior? What's the point of changing setting that do save the settings just to have them override it?
Downgrade it? Why? There's a reason why you want the newest version. To get rid of any bugs before it.
You can't pause it. If you do and you restart your computer, it will resume it every time.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

You have been given options to end that default behavior of the client, use them. The 'pause-on-start' option will keep the slot from starting up, even after a computer restart, that is why that option was created and how it works. Or you can use the 'gpu' option set to 'false' that I mentioned, it keeps the client from looking for and configuring GPU slots.

The history behind this current default behavior of the client includes many complaints that it failed to detect and configure GPU slots at times. That detection and configuration was made more robust and reliable, at the small downside of sometimes adding slots for GPUs that were not desired. It can be turned off as mentioned.

Sandman192

FAH v7.6.21

Post by Sandman192 »

I didn't what an option.
I wanted to report this as a bug. When settings get saved but restarting your computer and they get changed is defiantly a major bug.
Thanks for the work around option. But this needs to be fixed.

Going to try the GPU = false.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

It is not a bug, and it will not be changed in the version 7 client. 7.6.21 is the last version of version 7, they are currently working on a version 8 client. That is being rewritten completely, there may be a beta test of it out in the next year or so.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

It might even be worse in v8 client ... :roll:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
prcowley
Hardware configuration: Op Sys: Linux Ubuntu Studio 21.04 LTS
Kernal: 5.11.0-37-lowlatency
Proc: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - 8-core
Mem: 32 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
Storage: 2 TB

Post by prcowley »

I too have experienced (repeatedly) the situation on a reboot where the config.xml file gets replaced.
VERY frustrating.

I definitely call this a BUG and it seems to be rather random- does not happen every time.

My work around is:
- copy my working config.xml to config.backup.xml
- set folding to finish and wait for the current unit(s) to do so, then reboot
- if after the reboot, the config.xml file has been replaced with the "default" one, stop the fahclient and any daemons, copy config.backup.xml over top of config.xml and then restart fahclient again. (or reboot the computer again)

I notice that the cause of this problem might be the fact that the system seems to remember the processes that were last running and restarts them again but for FAH this seems to cause the above issues. Sometimes just another reboot will fix it.

It is very annoying and not at all what I would expect the software to do.

I am currently running Linux Ubuntu 22.04 on a desktop PC

Cheers
Pete Cowley
Pete Cowley, Gisborne, New Zealand. The first city to see the light of the new day. :D
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

For anyone who has ever upgraded their GPU, your 'bug' is a feature. Not recognizing new hardware used to be a frequent complaint here. I used to advise uninstalling F@H to recognize changes when it reinstalled. I am pleased not to make that recommendation any more.

I see no automatic way to recognize new hardware and àlso remember when folks ignore the instructions not to hand edit the XML.

In any case, this is a help forum, so we help you cope. There is a Reddit forum for bugs and enhancements.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Another group who wanted the current client defaults are those with external GPUs connected through Thunderbolt.

The topic has included information on how to disable GPU detection after your setup has been configured with just the one you want used. As for other configuration changes after a restart, that may be connected with an unstable setup of your system, not necessarily a bug in the F@h client. Instability can come from driver updates not handled properly and other similar actions.

Sandman192

FAH v7.6.21

Post by Sandman192 »

I don't like the so-called feature since it overrides your GPU settings. If it's going to do that than just get rid of the GPU slot option because what's the point of deleting a GPU slot just to have it (again) overrides, it.
Sandman192

FAH v7.6.21

Post by Sandman192 »

prcowley wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:34 am I too have experienced (repeatedly) the situation on a reboot where the config.xml file gets replaced.
VERY frustrating.

I definitely call this a BUG and it seems to be rather random- does not happen every time.

My work around is:
- copy my working config.xml to config.backup.xml
- set folding to finish and wait for the current unit(s) to do so, then reboot
- if after the reboot, the config.xml file has been replaced with the "default" one, stop the fahclient and any daemons, copy config.backup.xml over top of config.xml and then restart fahclient again. (or reboot the computer again)

I notice that the cause of this problem might be the fact that the system seems to remember the processes that were last running and restarts them again but for FAH this seems to cause the above issues. Sometimes just another reboot will fix it.

It is very annoying and not at all what I would expect the software to do.

I am currently running Linux Ubuntu 22.04 on a desktop PC

Cheers
Pete Cowley
Because what's the point of changing a setting just to have it override it. Might as well just remove the GPU slot settings all to gather and have Folding at Home do whatever the hell it wants with the GPUs it detects.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

Sandman192 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:14 am I don't like the so-called feature since it overrides your GPU settings. If it's going to do that than just get rid of the GPU slot option because what's the point of deleting a GPU slot just to have it (again) overrides, it.
Sandman192 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:24 am
Because what's the point of changing a setting just to have it override it. Might as well just remove the GPU slot settings all to gather and have Folding at Home do whatever the hell it wants with the GPUs it detects.

You've been given at least two options to stop any folding happening when the client starts. People have explained that the function is intentional and not a bug. Complaining that you don't want to use the given options and stating it's a bug isn't going to cause the client to be developed around your desires.

I've used the pause-on-start option mentioned by @PaulTV for a couple of years, and I've never had the system override or change it. I've also changed other options, such as CPU threads and haven't had any issues. I haven't used the option @JoeH mentioned, because in my case I want the slots available for times when I'm going to use them both at the same time.

If you've tried both of the options given and still have an issue, someone might be able to help you work it out. But either way I doubt they are going to develop the client to another form just because a few people want it to function in a different way. A third option of using the older client is available and has been mentioned as well.

I personally don't see how taking a few minutes to solve an issue is creating so much contempt that you feel the need to keep reporting it as a bug when it's already been explained that it's not. I don't like seeing posts about simple fixes not being used and the option is to complain about them.... but I won't insist those posts are a bug.
Fold them if you get them!