dynamically throttling cpu + gpu load?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RolandK

dynamically throttling cpu + gpu load?

Post by RolandK »

hello,

i want to use a pc with cpu + gpu to turn solar energy into heat (instead of using an ordinary adjustable heating element).

as solar power fluctuates, i want to have an adjustable FAH client (or multiple of them), i.e. i measure solar power and household electricity consumption, and whenever i have too much solar power available so that i would feed it into the public grid, i would like to feed it into FAH instead, to produce real value and heat.

is it possible to dynamically adjust/throttle cpu + gpu load, so i can adjust power consumtion of a pc running FAH within a wider range ? and if yes, how ?
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Re: dynamically throttling cpu + gpu load?

Post by BobWilliams757 »

I have no idea if there is such a way to do things, and it is probably doubtful that you could set it up to easily match the excess solar production. Since the overall draw of the PC would vary quite a bit with CPU cores used, and somewhat with GPU power limits, there would have to be almost constant adjustments going on.

If you send energy to the grid, do you get it back out at the same rate they pay you for producing it? In that case you could simply monitor and use billing and such to see how much you generated, then use that amount after the fact.
Fold them if you get them!
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

GPUs are either running or not running, you can pause them and they restart at the last checkpoint.

You can lower the number of CPU threads anytime, but increases take effect in the next Work Unit. You can pause CPU WUs like GPUs.

Where I live, this is a good time of year for solar, I have not used the grid in 10 days. Annually, solar makes 75% of my electricity.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
RolandK

Post by RolandK »

>If you send energy to the grid, do you get it back out at the same rate they pay you for producing it?

electricy prices currently skyrocketing to >50ct/kwh in germany. you get about 6 ct/kwh for feeding into the grid, including all the hassle with taxes.

i see no point feeding electricity into the grid, especially not if i see other people wasting it....