Jetson Nano 2022

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
spoileralert

Jetson Nano 2022

Post by spoileralert »

Hi all,

So I noticed that there is Arm support now for F@H, so I've pulled out my old Jetson Nano and sure enough the CPU is folding away happily. I still haven't been able to get the GPU to get recognised, and did a good search through the boards, but the last time it was mentioned was last year, and at the time it wasn't supported.

So, has anyone managed to get their Jetson to fold with GPU in the meantime? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Jetson Nano 2022

Post by Joe_H »

There has been no change in support for folding on ARM based systems, it is CPU only using Linux for the OS. There is no ARM based GPU folding core available to process WUs on the Jetson Nano or other systems.

It is unlikely any GPU folding core will be created for any current ARM system, and if so the Jetson Nano would probably not be included. The GPU on the Jetson Nano has one third the shader cores of a GT 1030, and that is about the minimum GPU needed to fold current projects. For CPU projects about the minimum is an ARM processor equivalent to a Rasperry Pi 4 or better.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

So far as I know all GPU cores are written for x86, so an ARM core would be a major rewrite.
As I read promo literature, it does not use a full CUDA implementation.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/j ... -gpu.c3643

As stated, this hints it 4 times too slow for F@H.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
spoileralert

Post by spoileralert »

Thanks guys, I thought that might be the case. Oh well, gonna have to steal my kid's gaming rig I think ;)