Start folding.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

adrianxw
Hardware configuration: Intel 6700 CPU on ASUS Sabertooth Z170 motherboard with 16 GB RAM

Start folding.

Post by adrianxw »

I stopped folding, reasons are not important. I have finished what I was doing. How do I start folding again? The button still says stop folding.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Start folding.

Post by Joe_H »

If you are using the Web Control try refreshing that window. That should reload it with the button saying Start Folding. Or just click on it and then click on the Stop Now option. Sometimes the Web Control doesn't read the Paused state left behind after a WU finishes properly and this will reset it.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
adrianxw
Hardware configuration: Intel 6700 CPU on ASUS Sabertooth Z170 motherboard with 16 GB RAM

Post by adrianxw »

Morning Joe, reloading did nothing. The other approach did nothing after one cycle, but the second time through worked, and it is going again. Cheers.

I still think it is using too many resources though. Set to the lowest level, it is taking 30+% while my BOINC jobs are bumbling along at less than 10%.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

I always just used the Advanced Control for folding. The web version is hit and miss sometimes and rock solid at others.

As for resources, I don't think folding is all that bad considering what it's doing. If you are running both folding and BOINC at the same time it's probably less efficient for both at times. You might consider alternating which one is running if your available resources for your other work isn't sufficient.
Fold them if you get them!
adrianxw

Post by adrianxw »

Where is the Advanced Control? When I use the icon on the desktop, it loads into a browser window.
It is simple CPU resources that I am looking at. The Resource Manager shows 99-100% in use pretty much all the time. The BOINC projects that do folding manage okay with their slots, but FaH grabs more than three times the resource at the lowest setting.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

You can get to Advanced Control though Start Menu>Folding@Home>FAH Control

As for CPU resources they should be roughly in line with how many threads you have folding compared to total threads available. That is if you don't have any GPU folding going on, or other background work that requires CPU. If you run stock settings of (-1) for the CPU threads then one thread is reserved for GPU folding/other tasks. Running CPU folding should be around 30%+ CPU use when the slider is set to the "Light" setting. The "Medium" setting on the slider should put you around 60%+ CPU use for folding only. "Full" would be 90%+.

You can configure a specific number of threads if desired as well.

Comparing to BOINC or any other distributed computing project really has no use, differing project types can use resources to various extents since their structure is not the same.
Fold them if you get them!