Folding causing pc’s to shutdown

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

BMC775

Folding causing pc’s to shutdown

Post by BMC775 »

I am new to folding. Last night I installed the client on both my pc’s and all was well for a few hours. I managed to successfully complete two tasks on one pc, however the other black screened and stopped folding. I was then stuck trying to get that pc to boot for a few hours, until I swapped the gpu and ram out. Then, windows repaired itself and the pc was up and running.

That was yesterday. I started again today and now after a couple hours of folding, both pc’s are not booting. No heat is not the issue just take my word for it. Also, my main rigs debug leds are displaying gpu and I bloody hope my 3080Ti isn’t dead. Any ideas?

Specs rig 1
R7 3700X
32gb 3200mhz dual channel
RTX 3080Ti
X470 Gaming Pro Max

Rig 2
i7 4820K
4gb 1333mhz single channel (after folding@home my normal ram is giving boot errors)
GTX 780
GA-X79-UD3
Vester
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Pro AX, Intel i9-10850K, 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2600, Samsung NVMe EVO 980 Pro 256GB, CoolerMaster liquid cooler ML360, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal), Dell Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB 4Y12V, Pop!_OS.

Re: Folding causing pc’s to shutdown

Post by Vester »

My Windows 11 Pro computer is using over 9GB RAM while running FAH. I don't believe Rig 2 is capable of running CPU tasks.

You "know" the rigs are not running hot. I would install HWMonitor and check the temperatures. You need the latest nVidia Game Ready drivers for your GPU from nVidia.

Edit: Folding@home Requirements
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

BMC775 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:14 am I am new to folding. Last night I installed the client on both my pc’s and all was well for a few hours. I managed to successfully complete two tasks on one pc, however the other black screened and stopped folding. I was then stuck trying to get that pc to boot for a few hours, until I swapped the gpu and ram out. Then, windows repaired itself and the pc was up and running.

That was yesterday. I started again today and now after a couple hours of folding, both pc’s are not booting. No heat is not the issue just take my word for it. Also, my main rigs debug leds are displaying gpu and I bloody hope my 3080Ti isn’t dead. Any ideas?

Specs rig 1
R7 3700X
RTX 3080Ti
X470 Gaming Pro Max

Rig 2
i7 4820K
4gb 1333mhz single channel (after folding@home my normal ram is giving boot errors)
GTX 780
GA-X79-UD3
There's an important part that is missing ... what PSUs do you use ?

Did you run some tools to check your hardware stability (StressCPUv2, OCCT, Furmark, Memtest86+, ...) ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

One thing for sure, folding will find any weakness in a system you thought was stable. I've yet to find a combination of benchmarks that will ensure a configuration is rock solid for folding, and I've even tried running multiple benchmarks at once. I'd take the advice above and run some stress tests, benchmarks, etc, and from there ease into the folding at lower power levels to check for any PSU weaknesses.

Possibly try folding with lower power limits on GPU, as well as limiting cores on CPU. Then if you find stability bump one or the other, or both, in small increments. I'd also suggest watching your folding logs for any errors within the folding core, just to help figure out if the instabilities are impacting the core or are more computer hardware/OS related but not impacting the folding core.

Further info on OS, temps, what projects did finish, any errors, etc, would be helpful for any forum members trying to help you narrow things down.
Fold them if you get them!
BMC775

Post by BMC775 »

Vester wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:53 pm My Windows 11 Pro computer is using over 9GB RAM while running FAH. I don't believe Rig 2 is capable of running CPU tasks.

You "know" the rigs are not running hot. I would install HWMonitor and check the temperatures. You need the latest nVidia Game Ready drivers for your GPU from nVidia.

Edit: Folding@home Requirements
Yeah I’ve got hardware monitor mate, everything is running under 70°c. I’ve used DDU to purge old drivers and I have fresh installs from GF exp.
BMC775

Post by BMC775 »

toTOW wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:33 pm
BMC775 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:14 am I am new to folding. Last night I installed the client on both my pc’s and all was well for a few hours. I managed to successfully complete two tasks on one pc, however the other black screened and stopped folding. I was then stuck trying to get that pc to boot for a few hours, until I swapped the gpu and ram out. Then, windows repaired itself and the pc was up and running.

Specs rig 1
R7 3700X
RTX 3080Ti
X470 Gaming Pro Max

Rig 2
i7 4820K
GTX 780
GA-X79-UD3
There's an important part that is missing ... what PSUs do you use ?

Did you run some tools to check your hardware stability (StressCPUv2, OCCT, Furmark, Memtest86+, ...) ?
I believe the psu for rig 2 is inadequate. It’s a 650W gold Enermax.The psu for rig 1 is fine, it actually brand new, a 1250W gold CoolerMaster and I was running the 3080Ti on two separate lines. So rig 2 did the same thing later last night as I ran a benchmark and it shut off after an hour and a half. However rig 1 is fine, as i used to run benchmarks all night when I’d do cpu overclocking. I was at stock when this happened as that was just for fun.
Last edited by BMC775 on Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMC775

Post by BMC775 »

Update, my 3080Ti is dead. Looking to RMA with Inno3D now, not sure if they will accept it though as it’s been repasted and is second hand. Folding on my main Rig has potentially cost me $1000 😭
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

The GPU would have died sooner or later anyway. FAH just helped to find the defect faster.

If it's still under warranty period and the defect is not related to a repaste, there's no reason they won't accept it ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
BMC775

Post by BMC775 »

Yeah honestly it’s a Piece of crap, I wish I wasn’t stuck with Inno3D 😂 Was just the cheapest card at the time