My Nvidia GPU works only on less than 30% while doing FAH.

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

maciej_ficek

My Nvidia GPU works only on less than 30% while doing FAH.

Post by maciej_ficek »

Hello,

2 months ago I started running FAH tasks on my newer laptop. However, my GPU works only on 5-30% of intensiveness.

Here is my PC:

CPU: i7-6820HQ
GPU: Nvidia Quadro M4000M. There is also Intel iGPU which works fine on 100%. I have set up hybrid mode in BIOS therefore both my GPUs work simultaneously depending on needed power. I have 526.27 Nvidia driver, installed in November 2022.
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2133 MHz Dual Channel

It is probably not a problem with overhitting as my GPU does work on <30% even on the start when it is fully cold. The maximum temperature is circa 67-69 Celsius degrees, so it does not throttle IMO. I use original laptop charger so it is also not a problem with not enough energy. It is also not a problem with bounding of CPU, as GPU runs on <30% even when I run only GPU task and CPU is free.

I have set "effective" mode on Windows and in Nvidia driver.

I have the newest possible BIOS for my laptop.

If You need any logs or infos to help me, just write me and I will attach them in respond.

Thanks in advance for trying to help me.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: My Nvidia GPU works only on less than 30% while doing FAH.

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

I am going to assume you are using Windows Task Manager to get that 5-30% utilization figure. That comes from the default views for Task Manager showing the video utilization, not the compute utilization. You will need to change one of the graphs from the default. Depending on the exact version and patch level of Windows, the view you want will be either "CUDA", or one of the "Compute" levels.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/q ... 000m.c2822

For a laptop, your GPU is quite capable.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
maciej_ficek

Post by maciej_ficek »

Joe_H wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:05 pm Welcome to the folding support forum.

I am going to assume you are using Windows Task Manager to get that 5-30% utilization figure. That comes from the default views for Task Manager showing the video utilization, not the compute utilization. You will need to change one of the graphs from the default. Depending on the exact version and patch level of Windows, the view you want will be either "CUDA", or one of the "Compute" levels.
Hmm, I dont have "Cuda" graph, and when I choose Compute 1 graph, which corresponds to my NVidia GPU (because Compute 0 corresponds to Intel), then the graph is constanly 0%.

But maybe really my GPU works on ful level and only that Windows Task Manager shows improper info.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The last time I used a Windows system there were 4 different "Compute" selections for the GPU usage graphs. Don't recall a specific one being for Nvidia or Intel. You can also use the GPU-Z utility, that will report various utilizations for the GPU including load, and PCIe bus usage.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3