Problem with Stoney Ridge APU not working

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Peter_King

Problem with Stoney Ridge APU not working

Post by Peter_King »

My System Info shows the following:
GPU 0 Bus:0 Slot:1 Func:0 AMD:1 Stoney Ridge APU [Radeon R2-R5 Graphics]
Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'nvcuda.dll': The specified module could not be found.
CUDA
OpenCL Device 0 Platform:0 Device:0 Bus:0 Slot:1 Compute:1.2 Driver:3240.6

My GPU has worked successfully for years but this problem has occurred recently. Is there a fix for this?
JimboPalmer

Re: Problem with Stoney Ridge APU not working

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home! (I am just a user like you)

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... hics.c3215

According to these specs, your GPU has both 64 bit math capabilities and OpenCL support better than version 1.2. It shows as over 4 times as slow as the GPU known to finish all Work Units.

It is possible someone has determined that it is too slow for any WUs. I also hear rumors many F@H servers are being transported to a new university, perhaps that includes the ones with Work for your GPU.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

It has been disabled. Let me dig around and find out why it was disabled (It might have been just a mistake).
FAH Beta tester
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

OK, recently we had a major AMD Species (performance brackets) adjustment done. Stoney Ridge APUs are ranging from ~150 to ~320 GFLOPS in performance. This gives them classification of Species 2, which is bottom tier. Before the adjustment it was set to Species 4 due to some Species limitations server side. Species 4 for this kind of performance is not correct, since currently Species 4 have GPUs ranging from 2 to 4 TFLOPS.
I will set your GPU to Species 2, but this will not change the fact that you will still not get any work anymore, because work which has been and is coming in from researchers is just simply too large for your APU, even the smallest projects cannot be finished within set deadlines.

At this point if you still wish to contribute, use CPU to fold. Set it to use all cores (if comfortable with temps).
There are some rumblings in the air, though, for AMD users regarding FAH, if that includes GCN arch GPUs (Stoney Ridges uses GCN arch GPU), things might change. Not sure when. Keep an eye of any announcements regarding AMD in this forum.
FAH Beta tester
Peter_King

Post by Peter_King »

Thanks for that. I've disabled the APU and will continue with just the CPU.