GPU Alzheimers Project takes all CPU cores

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Vester
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Pro AX, Intel i9-10850K, 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2600, Samsung NVMe EVO 980 Pro 256GB, CoolerMaster liquid cooler ML360, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal), Dell Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB 4Y12V, Pop!_OS.

GPU Alzheimers Project takes all CPU cores

Post by Vester »

I completed several GPU and CPU tasks satisfactorily. I am running Windows 11 Pro on the computer described in my signature.

On two occasions, Alzheimer's tasks running on the GPU took all 20 of my CPU threads and left the CPU "slot" with insufficient resources (not running). I checked in Task Manager and found that the CPU cores were loaded at only ~15%. I uninstalled v8.1.11 and reinstalled it once.

When I uninstalled v8.1.11, I did not choose to remove the data. The uninstaller for v8.1.11 removes all data.

I am now running v7.6.21.
Hou5e

Re: GPU Alzheimers Project takes all CPU cores

Post by Hou5e »

For better WU controls in FAHv8, you can create the FAHv7 'slot' behavior with 'Resource Groups' in v8. Please see the info about enabling Resource Groups in Issue 52 on GitHub. This will allow you to make 1 CPU thread and 1GPU in one resource group, and how ever many CPU threads left you want in a separate resource group. Just click the gear icon for each to specify that info.

For uninstalling FAH v8, the uninstaller most like left the data folder with the v8 data in it at:

Code: Select all

C:\ProgramData\FAHClient
Then when you run the older v7 installer (I'm not allowed to fix it), the v7 installer uses the new v8 data folder, instead of the old v7 data folder at:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient
Your settings should still be there, and let me know if this isn't what happened :).
You can keep using the data folder at: C:\ProgramData\FAHClient, and that location will work fine for both v7 and v8 data going forward.
Vester
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Pro AX, Intel i9-10850K, 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2600, Samsung NVMe EVO 980 Pro 256GB, CoolerMaster liquid cooler ML360, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal), Dell Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB 4Y12V, Pop!_OS.

Post by Vester »

Thank you.
Alex_Atkin

Post by Alex_Atkin »

Seems to be the same issue I was having, some odd bug as the log doesn't show it taking all the CPU slots that the UI does.
https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-cl ... issues/106