GPU slot added after every restart

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Weissrolf

GPU slot added after every restart

Post by Weissrolf »

Hello.

When I remove the GPU slot and save then it is re-added after restarting F@h. Is this intended behavior?
PaulTV

Re: GPU slot added after every restart

Post by PaulTV »

Yes, it is. There are a number of ways on how to deal with this. Personally, to avoid GPU folding starting automatically, I added the option 'pause-on-start' with value 'true' to the advanced options, in FAHControl. You can set that for the entire client (so would apply to all slots, both GPU and CPU), or you can add it for per slot where you want to apply it.

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
Weissrolf

Post by Weissrolf »

Thanks. There is a difference between pausing and removing the slot, though. A paused GPU slot behaves the same as my currently unpaused forever-connecting GPU slot, both cause the CPU slot to only run at 97% instead of 100%. Only removing the GPU slot allows the CPU slot to run at 100%. It's not a problem for me personally (I even abuse it for CPU stability tests), but worth mentioning.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I used to frequently advise folks to completely uninstall F@H and reinstall it to get new GPUs to be discovered. Making it search for GPU changes on start up solved that.

If you want help running the GPU, you could post the first 200 lines of the log.
If you want 100% CPU utilization, you can set the number of actve CPUs in the advanced client (configure, slots, CPU, move the number from -1 to the real number)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Weissrolf

Post by Weissrolf »

F@h already uses the correct number of threads. But when a GPU slot is paused (either manually or due to connection issues) then the CPU slot threads don't run at 100% (but around 97% instead). Deleting the GPU slot entirely allows the CPU slot to use the full 100%. It's just an observation, I can work with this.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

In FAHControl, client options, add option gpu false.
This should prevent the client from recreating GPU slots.
Weissrolf

Post by Weissrolf »

Thanks, this works and is useful to know for future use.