Advanced Control / FAHControl's Debian Terminal Installation Broken

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Wastag

Advanced Control / FAHControl's Debian Terminal Installation Broken

Post by Wastag »

New to FAH and Linux respectively, started folding about a week ago and have been wanting to either switch to at least GPU folding or even multi-GPU which both would require a download of Advanced Control, or as the Terminal installation section refers to it FAHControl, as it was formerly known.
When attempting to install using the command line, as is the only way for Linux because only the FAHClient appears in package managers, the terminal simply spits out

Code: Select all

dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'fahcontrol_7.4.4-1_all.deb': No such file or directory
which suggests, as I suspected from the absence in package managers, that the application doesn't exist in Ubuntu's package library.
In addition to searching through Muon Package Manager and the official Ubuntu Library (although admittedly even FAHClient doesn't appear there) I also tried changing the fahcontrol in the file name to advancedcontrol in hopes that the name change was what was causing the issue but alas it output the same string denying an existence of a package of either the two names.
Ultimately, I'm happy folding on CPU for the moment but I do stress the need for a proper overhaul of the Software page to make the various software name changes and package/terminal changes congruous throughout as people like me who have devoted aged hardware to FAH will likely use Linux to maximise its potential but are stuck with little control and unoptimised performance.
Last edited by Wastag on Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Avdanced Control / FAHControl's Debain Terminal Installation Broken

Post by Joe_H »

The current version of the software is 7.6.21, the online installation guides are well behind in updating. The volunteer who maintained those pages passed away in 2017 around the time support for F@h moved from Dr. Pande's lab at Stanford to a consortium headed up by labs at WUSTL, Temple and MSKCC. The 7.5.1 release came out in 2018. Volunteer web developers since then have mostly worked on the main pages of the website and not updated these.

A few of the Linux distributions do have F@h in their repositories, I haven't followed Ubuntu recently. That is only by permission from the F@h Consortium, otherwise the only official source is direct from the F@h servers. The current version can be downloaded from the Folding@home site - https://foldingathome.org/alternative-downloads/.

If you have someone who will volunteer to update the site's installation guides, there is a F@h Discord channel for doing that.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3