FAH on Ubuntu / Raspberry Pi 4 / 64bit

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ETA_2025
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-7700 32GB RAM
20 x Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2GB RAM

Re: FAH on Ubuntu / Raspberry Pi 4 / 64bit

Post by ETA_2025 »

calxalot wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:38 pm It would start and daemonize, then the child would fall because it doesn’t have permission to change files owned by user “fahclient”.

Think Ubuntu 22 doesn’t support init.d. In any case the installed ini.d script has been malfunctioning for some time. Things like no pid file, running as root.
The O.P. is running Ubuntu 20, so it seems they may need to do some updating, and one solution might be to reinstall FAH as a service, which would remove init.d as a potential problem!

Do I understand this correctly? If fork, pid, respawn & daemon were removed, wouldn't they be added back automatically when FAHClient is restarted, if required?
calxalot wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:41 pm It’s supposed to be a service, but it is not auto starting at boot for some people. It’s not going to be fixed. All effort is on v8.
Actually, you can install it as a service or choose to run it from the command line. If it's a service, using system.d would be required, would it?
ETA_2025

Post by ETA_2025 »

calxalot wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:50 pm Anyone willing to be a beta tester is encouraged to try the v8 open beta.
Isn't that a bad idea, if you haven't even got v7 working reliably?
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

Maybe. Depends on what is in config.xml.

One could also uninstall purge v7. You would then need to reenter user, team, passkey.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

As to getting init.d/FAHClient to work at boot, there is a file somewhere that has the start at boot option. I can’t remember where it is. One would need to read the script to see what is sourced.
ETA_2025

Post by ETA_2025 »

calxalot wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:03 am Maybe. Depends on what is in config.xml.

One could also uninstall purge v7. You would then need to reenter user, team, passkey.
I think we really need the O.P to reply.

I'm going to add the sudo suggestion in my reply to them, so the O.P. see that first. I'll credit you, of course.
calxalot wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:06 am As to getting init.d/FAHClient to work at boot, there is a file somewhere that has the start at boot option. I can’t remember where it is. One would need to read the script to see what is sourced.
I was wrong. It's always installed as a service. But if you disable the service, you can start it from the command line.