Disabled GPU

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

aaaaaaaaaa

Disabled GPU

Post by aaaaaaaaaa »

My GPU got disabled, I can see it in the folding slot in configure. I used a RTX A3000 mobile GPU, and here is the line of text from the client GPU.txt
0x10de:0x24b8:2:8:GA104GLM [RTX A3000 Mobile]
I had updated my GPU driver to the newest version and confirmed it's not been disabled by Windows. Does anyone know how to fix it?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Disabled GPU

Post by Joe_H »

Is this GPU part of a laptop? In a laptop generally there is both an integrated GPU for low power video usage and the discrete GPU is linked to it using Nvidia Optimus technology. That is a mix of hardware and software support for switching between the two GPUs. If that switches the RTX A3000 off, it will be disabled for use by F@h. You may need to set that it is always active for it to work for folding. Depending on the laptop this can be a control panel setting or on older ones a BIOS setting. This has come up for a number of persons doing folding on their laptops in the past, searches on Optimus should bring up some older topics about this.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... bile.c3806

Assuming this is a laptop, the specs indicate it meets F@H minimum specification.

Also assuming that you are the first to try to fold with this GPU, they will need it's Device id enable it.

Again assuming you use Windows, GPU-Z can provide that to you, then you post it here.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

If my assumptions are wrong, correct me.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
aaaaaaaaaa

Post by aaaaaaaaaa »

The device ID is

10DE 24B9 - 1028 0B2B

Also, the GPU was soldered on my laptop motherboard. I didn't use cable to connect any external GPUs. I opened the control panel, but I don't know what's the next step.
aaaaaaaaaa

Post by aaaaaaaaaa »

JimboPalmer wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:45 pm Welcome to Folding@Home!

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... bile.c3806

Assuming this is a laptop, the specs indicate it meets F@H minimum specification.

Also assuming that you are the first to try to fold with this GPU, they will need it's Device id enable it.

Again assuming you use Windows, GPU-Z can provide that to you, then you post it here.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

If my assumptions are wrong, correct me.
The device ID is

10DE 24B9 - 1028 0B2B
aaaaaaaaaa

Post by aaaaaaaaaa »

Joe_H wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 pm Is this GPU part of a laptop? In a laptop generally there is both an integrated GPU for low power video usage and the discrete GPU is linked to it using Nvidia Optimus technology. That is a mix of hardware and software support for switching between the two GPUs. If that switches the RTX A3000 off, it will be disabled for use by F@h. You may need to set that it is always active for it to work for folding. Depending on the laptop this can be a control panel setting or on older ones a BIOS setting. This has come up for a number of persons doing folding on their laptops in the past, searches on Optimus should bring up some older topics about this.
The GPU was soldered on my laptop motherboard. I didn't use cable to connect any external GPUs. I opened the control panel, but I don't know what's the next step.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Added the following devices to the list of supported GPUs :
0x24b9 / GA104GLM [RTX A3000 12GB Laptop GPU]
0x24ba / GA104GLM [RTX A4500 Laptop GPU]
0x24bb / GA104GLM [RTX A3000 Laptop GPU]

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
aaaaaaaaaa

Post by aaaaaaaaaa »

toTOW wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:31 pm Added the following devices to the list of supported GPUs :
0x24b9 / GA104GLM [RTX A3000 12GB Laptop GPU]
0x24ba / GA104GLM [RTX A4500 Laptop GPU]
0x24bb / GA104GLM [RTX A3000 Laptop GPU]
Problem solved, thank you!