Question about v7 expert settings

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

DarkFoss
Hardware configuration: AMD 5800X3D Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi II bios 5003 G-Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Asrock Tachi RX 7900XTX Corsair rm850x psu Asus PG32UQXR EK Elite 360 D-rgb aio Win 11pro/Kubuntu 22.04.4 LTS UPS BX1500G

Question about v7 expert settings

Post by DarkFoss »

I've been looking at various threads and just want to make sure. I have in V7: next-unit-percentage 100 and pause-on-start true set. From what I gather these settings will be copied over to the new beta client but are they currently supported options? Do they actually work?

Nothing worse than seeing the clock started on the next work unit especially on the cpu side when the TPF can be in excess of 20 minutes.
I dual boot so there are times I don't want the client to download actual work because of system update.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Question about v7 expert settings

Post by Joe_H »

As best as I can tell, the default for v8 is to download after 100% and the WU is completed. I don't have next-unit-percentage set so my v7 install was using the default 99%. So in my v8 log it shows the WU reach 100%, the various result files get saved and the folding core is shutdown. Only after that does the client request a new WU, approximately 3 seconds after reaching 100%. At that point the client is simultaneously downloading a new WU and packing up the result files to be uploaded. Sometimes the download finishes and the new WU start processing before the upload of the previous WU starts.

When I tested on an earlier version of the v8 client the pause-on start worked. I have not tested it on recent versions, but the regular pause is persistent across reboots.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

Most v7 settings are not supported in v8.

Currently imported are
"user", "team", "passkey", "fold-anon", "on-idle", "key", "cause", "cpus"
DarkFoss
Hardware configuration: AMD 5800X3D Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi II bios 5003 G-Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Asrock Tachi RX 7900XTX Corsair rm850x psu Asus PG32UQXR EK Elite 360 D-rgb aio Win 11pro/Kubuntu 22.04.4 LTS UPS BX1500G

Post by DarkFoss »

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll install the beta and give it a shot. I'm curious to see how it handles the new hardware.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

There are a bunch of settings that are not imported, but are used directly from config.xml.

These include all the log settings, verbosity, allow, deny, http-addresses.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

You can see everything with

Code: Select all

fah-client --help
On Windows, I think that’s

Code: Select all

FAHClient.exe --help
Some options are probably internal things you should not change.
DarkFoss

Post by DarkFoss »

Thank you for the extra info my only concern was the 2 options I posted. Both options seem to be working fine, I think for a beta the client is performing great.
I was able to configure a bios profile for folding using the asus oc wizard set the cpu to a steady 3.7g. According to Ryzen master all the voltages are staying in the green. The v8 client gave 14 cores to the cpu 1 for the cpu and one left for the system, the v7 client used 15 cores plus 1 for the gpu leaving no core for the system. Dropped about 100w used when folding on both the cpu and gpu.

I like the separated logs makes it much easier to read through. The log does seem to cut off after upload I am not longer seeing the actual credit from the wu.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

With the v8 debug build you will see complaints at the start of the log about any unrecognized options.