My 4090 for humanity

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

dieglhix
Hardware configuration: RTX4090 - 5800X3D

My 4090 for humanity

Post by dieglhix »

I'm a gamer, and will use my 4090 100% for this project when idling because so many people suffer in this world and so many cures and/or treatments can be investigated even faster than before.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Re: My 4090 for humanity

Post by BobWilliams757 »

Just a thought on using the "on idle" setting.

If you start a work unit and then game or otherwise use your computer for a few hours, no folding is taking place. If you game for a couple hours after starting folding, you increase that return time by a couple hours. But if you use the "finish" function in FAH Control, you can just stop folding completely before gaming or intense use. Since a 4090 is very powerful, most project only take on average less than an hour. By shutting down folding prior to gaming or that other heavy use, the project is returned quickly. This also rewards more bonus points, which is the incentive to return the project quickly when possible. Then when you are done gaming you can just restart the folding slot and power through more work.

Also keep in mind that with such a powerful card the vast majority of computer use other than gaming will hardly slow folding progress at all. Even with much lesser cards you can browse the web, do some basic video editing, engage in web conferences, etc with very little impact. In short, you can stop folding only when doing intensive tasks such as gaming, and the GPU has more than enough extra power to keep working through minor computer tasks.
Fold them if you get them!
jonault

Post by jonault »

If a WU is almost done & only has a few minutes left to go, letting the WU finish & then pausing before you start your game would let the WU finish faster & get you more points. If the WU isn't going to finish before you start gaming, though, pausing folding while you game isn't going to make the WU finish faster. If folding isn't affecting your game performance, better to let it continue while you play.
dieglhix
Hardware configuration: RTX4090 - 5800X3D

Post by dieglhix »

Thanks both for your comments. I'm aware of that. I don't do both things at the same time. By idling I meant in "not gaming, not watching 4k videos" terms, not F@H terms, I realised there is an Idle option which has different meaning.

Well, unfortunately it started to coil whine, first time I have this experience. I panically started to research on it and it seems it could be just the specific WU. It seems to have been. Even went to test hardcore games but flight sim VR is the ultimate test, no whine. Came back to F@H, finished the WU, now no coil with the WU. Huh?

Interesting stuff.