Shorter units

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Jonazz

Re: Shorter units

Post by Jonazz »

nemric wrote:To be honest I'm disappointed, I feel like if a humanitarian organization would refuse my 20$ because they want 30$ minimum...
No one will stop you to give a financial donation to FAH :)
rbpeake
Hardware configuration: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8500, dual 3.16GHz cores, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB (45nm); 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM; 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GT Video Card

Post by rbpeake »

IMHO, money is not a good analogy. Money has equal value everywhere, as opposed to computational donations which vary dramatically and are changing all the time. The researchers decide what computational resources work the best for their specific research needs to efficiently produce results.
Admittedly as a donor this can be frustrating, although different distributed computing projects have different needs.
nemric

Post by nemric »

I've discarded these 2 cpus, I won't fight for being a donator...
casualfolder

Post by casualfolder »

I just bought an i7-13700k processor - latest you can get. The last project to download was going to take 12 hours, with a 2 day deadline. I only want this PC on 2-3 hours a day, so it's pointless my trying to contribute. Giving up on FAH unfortunately.
Let me download projects that will take 2/3/4 hours max and I'll be back in the game.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

casualfolder wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:24 am I just bought an i7-13700k processor - latest you can get. The last project to download was going to take 12 hours, with a 2 day deadline. I only want this PC on 2-3 hours a day, so it's pointless my trying to contribute. Giving up on FAH unfortunately.
Let me download projects that will take 2/3/4 hours max and I'll be back in the game.
Since you provided no other information other than a processor type, not much we can do to help you. However I have a system with an i7-7700K and most WUs it processes take about 3 hours. With different settings your system would get similar WUs, and being faster would complete them in a bit shorter time.

As for time estimates, that will entirely depend on whether your system has ever processed a WU from that project before. Since you are talking about a new install, then the initial estimates are entirely based on the two timeout values. They will be accurate after processing several percent.

However if you are looking for WUs strictly assigned by how long they will take to process, the Assignment Servers do not have a database of processors and thread counts to use and determine how long any particular WU might take before assigning it. All that is used for CPU assignments is the number of CPU threads offered.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
AZBrandon

Post by AZBrandon »

casualfolder wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:24 amI just bought an i7-13700k processor - latest you can get. The last project to download was going to take 12 hours, with a 2 day deadline. I only want this PC on 2-3 hours a day, so it's pointless my trying to contribute. Giving up on FAH unfortunately.
The most common GPU to pair with a 13700K would be something like an RTX 4070Ti, which should turn around WUs in 1 to 1.5 hours. You could do GPU folding instead of CPU folding.