2 things I hate that about F@H client I have 8 more units failed

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JEK81

2 things I hate that about F@H client I have 8 more units failed

Post by JEK81 »

it starts automatically "not good", it start anonymously "stoopid", remove cpu and gpu slots to stop. add in the identity and passkey, had cancer set in advanced control with identity and passkey, add cpu and gpu slots, save, thing opens up the stupid browser and does not select Cancer which I had set in advanced control, and starts folding a different thing beside cancer, so i have like another 8 failed units to get this thing to be on cancer.

The opening the browser is BS on start up, I am tired of the imbecile that made it like this.

Stop auto start when adding slots for god sake, stop the browser from opening and taking over advanced control when opening the client, so annoying.

GAH.

This was because I set the 2 PC's up for F@H to talk to each other but even with the correct settings and everything had difficulties, failed units are included in the 8 failed, another 35hrs to get beyond base credit pts.

so mad.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Re: 2 things I hate that about F@H client I have 8 more units failed

Post by BobWilliams757 »

If you slow down and look, you can overcome all the issues you seem to have.

You do not have to even load F@H on Windows startup. If you don't want it loaded at startup or reboot, simply remove it from the start menu in the same way you would for any other program.

If you prefer to use advanced control, you can simply select that when you start the program. I use only advanced control and have no problems doing it this way.

You can also remove the auto start feature once you open the program. Simply select extra slot options and add the command "pause-on-start" with a value of "True". This can be done to individual slots under the "slots" tab. Once selected and applied with a restart, nothing will fold until you take the appropriate action to unpause the slot.

There are features that some aren't fond of, but every bit of software is a compromise at some point. By searching and using available switches and such it can be tailored more closely to what we want. I installed the first time and had my bonus status 10 work units later. It's not the fault of the software that work units fail. Take a deep breath, read up on software features, apply them as you wish, and then fold when you want.
Fold them if you get them!
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

BobWilliams757 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:24 pm If you slow down and look, you can overcome all the issues you seem to have.

You do not have to even load F@H on Windows startup. If you don't want it loaded at startup or reboot, simply remove it from the start menu in the same way you would for any other program.

If you prefer to use advanced control, you can simply select that when you start the program. I use only advanced control and have no problems doing it this way.

You can also remove the auto start feature once you open the program. Simply select extra slot options and add the command "pause-on-start" with a value of "True". This can be done to individual slots under the "slots" tab. Once selected and applied with a restart, nothing will fold until you take the appropriate action to unpause the slot.

There are features that some aren't fond of, but every bit of software is a compromise at some point. By searching and using available switches and such it can be tailored more closely to what we want. I installed the first time and had my bonus status 10 work units later. It's not the fault of the software that work units fail. Take a deep breath, read up on software features, apply them as you wish, and then fold when you want.
I had to reinstall one client, which first opens, it opens the browser and folds. and if closed and reopened, it opens the browser again rimse repeat.

i start it manually not windows startup.

if i have to reinstall in the furture, i'll add that flag.

just very annoying that browser opens.
BobWilliams757
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200

Post by BobWilliams757 »

It's been a while since I've had to install, but on my drop down menu I have options for either FAHControl (advanced control) or Web Control. The same applies if you have it run on Windows start up, the icon in the task bar gives options as well. I think the default icon when sent to the desktop started Web Control, but to be honest I don't remember.

And just a suggestion, but add the flag while it's running and save it. That way if you have to reboot for updates, a power loss, system crash, etc... it will pause the next time you deal with it.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

If you don’t want the browser, remove —open-web-control from the shortcuts that start the client.
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

calxalot wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:53 pm If you don’t want the browser, remove —open-web-control from the shortcuts that start the client.
Thank you!
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

thank you, added pause-on-start and removed ooen browser.

gonna make life easier
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

Is there a stop on finish option for a slot?
kiore

Post by kiore »

JEK81 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:24 pm Is there a stop on finish option for a slot?
Yes, on the advanced control panel; select the slot and choose "finish" this will complete the unit and not request another one, on restart it should show as snoozing icon and the slot read as paused.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Will just add that it is select a slot and right-click on it. That brings up a context menu with Pause, Finish and other options for that slot.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

Joe_H wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:39 pm Will just add that it is select a slot and right-click on it. That brings up a context menu with Pause, Finish and other options for that slot.
Nice, I have to do some cpu work.
BobWilliams757
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200

Post by BobWilliams757 »

The software takes some getting used to, but in all fairness that's not uncommon. It's fairly capable once you iron out what you want it to do and what options are available. Keep things stable and you will be getting the bonus points and climbing the ladder quickly.

ETA: You mentioned specific causes as well. Keep in mind that the cause preference is just that. It is not a guarantee you will get projects for only that cause.