Zero CPUs set, CPU slot running

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

planetclown
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700x
32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
EVGA RTX 3060 Ti

Zero CPUs set, CPU slot running

Post by planetclown »

Using v8.1.16, in the settings I've set 0 CPUs and enabled my GPU.

I've been folding fine on a single GPU slot for days now. Today I opened the browser and there's now a CPU slot running.

I was able to pause all folding and dump the CPU unit, but I'd rather not dump CPU work in the future.

The settings specify to use the GPU only. Any idea how/why a CPU unit was downloaded and initiated?
Dayle Diamond

Re: Zero CPUs set, CPU slot running

Post by Dayle Diamond »

Oh, pausing lets you dump them!
My thread on the same problem was right next to yours, but you're the first to mention that.
Thanks!
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

In v8 you can go to the client's settings and look under Resource Usage.

My CPU is set to 1 which is for running my GPU .... it has never tried to assign a CPU WU.

DarkFoss
Hardware configuration: AMD 5800X3D Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi II bios 5003 G-Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Asrock Tachi RX 7900XTX Corsair rm850x psu Asus PG32UQXR EK Elite 360 D-rgb aio Win 11pro/Kubuntu 22.04.4 LTS UPS BX1500G

Post by DarkFoss »

I had 3 cpu work units trying to fold on the gpu slot with the cpu slider set at 1, no actual gpu unit paused and dumped all 3. It then tried to download a 4th cpu unit I dumped it and deleted the slot and recreated it setting the cpu to zero. So far no further mis-assignments.

Hoping it was a server glitch dumping 4 wu's in a span of minutes isn't fun.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Open a bug ticket here : https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-cl ... tet/issues

The developer doesn't read this forum.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Dayle Diamond

Post by Dayle Diamond »

This forum is more accessible than Github for people who don't have a tech background.
When there's an issue that's obvious to techies but confusing to end users, it's going to show up here.
The developers should be reading this forum, instead of insisting that anyone who discovers a bug makes a seperate account on a new website.

If bugs go unnoticed because users are reporting them on the official website, that's on their obstinance.
planetclown
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700x
32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
EVGA RTX 3060 Ti

Post by planetclown »

Thanks for the Github link, I didn't realize the code was stored there.
victor_pp

Post by victor_pp »

I see the separation between forum and Github issue tracker like this - one does not replace the other:

The forum is great for posting if you're not sure if it's a bug in the client, a temporary glitch on work units, or a configuration mistake of yours.

But once it gets confirmed that it looks like a bug in the client, please don't hesitate to follow advice and to create an issue on Github, even if that means opening another account there. Compared to everything else, Github, Gitlab, or other project forges are relatively harmless and allow you direct interaction with the code and its developers.

(Written by someone without any Google or Facebook account :wink: )
Alex_Atkin

Post by Alex_Atkin »

Dayle Diamond wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:49 am This forum is more accessible than Github for people who don't have a tech background.
When there's an issue that's obvious to techies but confusing to end users, it's going to show up here.
The developers should be reading this forum, instead of insisting that anyone who discovers a bug makes a seperate account on a new website.

If bugs go unnoticed because users are reporting them on the official website, that's on their obstinance.
While I see your point, if a user is not technically minded then they really shouldn't be using a beta.

My brain kinda melts with bugtrackers too but its just something you have to deal with if you plan to beta test something. Developers simply don't have the time to check multiple locations for bug reports and especially to then have to push for enough information for it to be useful to replicate the bug, thus why the bugtracker asks for all that information.
Dayle Diamond

Post by Dayle Diamond »

While I see your point, if a user is not technically minded then they really shouldn't be using a beta.
There are consequences to this line of thinking.
Unintuitive design that's 'obvious' to programmers can make its way into the final release.

In this beta, some settings and information that was available at a glance becomes harder to find.

Every time users encounter a problem, there's a portion who will disengage.
Folding at Home only works if a lot of people participate.
If the developers are 'too busy' to hear from the public, they will lose out on members of the public 'too busy' to do their own tech support.
Dayle Diamond

Post by Dayle Diamond »

Update, it's doing it again.
Just about every time I pick up a GPU work unit, I have to dump three zero-slot CPU units.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

This is v8.1.18 ?
No resource groups?
Zero cpus set?

Note that there should be one cpu set per GPU.
Hou5e

Post by Hou5e »

I can confirm this has been happening all this week with v8.1.18 (with RG, and no CPU folding) on (5) PCs (Linux, or Win10) with 1-2 GPUs each, trying to do GPU-only folding. You end up dumping many CPU WUs and restarting FAHv8 every day just to get GPU WUs eventually, since doing CPU folding with 1 thread is too slow (and the client downloads [4] CPU WUs per Resource Group) before it stops downloading more CPU WUs. Restarting FAHv8 and pressing 'Start' and immediately 'Pause (Finish)' helps prevent the next 3-4 CPU WUs from downloading in this error state until you get a GPU WU. It's not happening on the other (3) FAHv7 PCs.
Last edited by Hou5e on Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

I think you need to run the debug build to get details on the work requests and assignments in the log.
Hou5e

Post by Hou5e »

I created this issue on GitHub: https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-cl ... issues/144 to make posting the larger log files and images easier. Let me know if you need other log files.