Not auto-starting on Windows bootup

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Peter_Hucker

Not auto-starting on Windows bootup

Post by Peter_Hucker »

On all my 5 machines I definitely set "run on startup" when I installed Folding, but if a machine reboots, Folding is not starting by itself. I also can't see a setting for this in the interface. Of course I can stick it in the startup group in the start menu, but shouldn't this be automatically done?
calxalot
Site Moderator

Re: Not auto-starting on Windows bootup

Post by calxalot »

On Windows, the client is launched when you log on.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

The default install adds a link in Startup for you.
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

Edit: This appears to be a Windows 11 bug. I've seen this before with another program. In the all-users startup group, things get ignored. I think it works better in the user's own startup group. For the moment I'm placing it in both! The relevant paths are:

All users: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
A specific user: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

My understanding is that the Windows v8 installer only adds links in the all users locations.
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

Yes, that's where it put it on all mine. But it was ignored by all the machines. Strangely, the link I put in there to start Chrome to show the interface did start up. A google search shows this is a widespread problem but there are multiple solutions - things to do with the link not having admin privileges and all sorts. There's nothing special about most of my machines, I just installed Windows 11, a few little utilities, Boinc, and Folding. Perhaps some installers don't set something quite right? I've only had a problem with links installers put there, but never with a shortcut I placed there myself.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

I think the installer will also remove links in current user, as those are typically cruft from old installs, particularly v7.

Whenever you upgrade, you may want to move the created link from all-users.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

I pinged an expert. I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful.
spinney

Post by spinney »

I ran into this same issue months later. For anyone else that may still need a solution, this is what worked for me:

I ensured that a shortcut existed at both `C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup` and `C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup` then edited the permissions of both shortcuts to ensure that every group had full control. After that, it seems to be executing just fine at startup.
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

For me, part of your solution is enough. My systems (about 3/4 of them) ignore anything (not just folding) in the all users startup, so I only use the per user startup. My login is an admin account, but it's auto-logged in (I don't type the password), maybe that messes things up?
spinney

Post by spinney »

Peter_Hucker wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:12 am For me, part of your solution is enough. My systems (about 3/4 of them) ignore anything (not just folding) in the all users startup, so I only use the per user startup. My login is an admin account, but it's auto-logged in (I don't type the password), maybe that messes things up?
Interesting, I originally tried just copying the shortcut over but that alone did not seem to do the trick. At the time, the computer was also set with no password for the admin account so that may be a requisite factor. I haven't noticed any issues with other startup items but then again I tend not to use the computer much after setting it up.