AM5 thermals too high

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Strongwolf

AM5 thermals too high

Post by Strongwolf »

My new rig won't let me fold as I usually do. It will climb sharply to 95-96 as soon as I lunch F@H. Do any of you guys encounter this issue or am I doing something wrong?
Specs:
Ryzen AM5 7600
32Gb DDr5 6000
Radeon 6750XT 12GB
Force MP 600 2 TB (main)
S/P 1 TB
AsRock B650 Live mixer (mobo)
Artic Freezer II 240mm
NZXT H5 Flow case
Is a shame not been able to 'fold' with my new rig. Any ideas?
bikeaddict

Re: AM5 thermals too high

Post by bikeaddict »

AM5 CPUs are designed to run at 95C under full load, according to AMD. I don't like mine running that hot, so I have it limited to 85C in the BIOS.
Strongwolf

Post by Strongwolf »

Thanks, I forgot that detail.
Strongwolf

Post by Strongwolf »

Sorry to ask, but what setting in the bios do you tweak?
bikeaddict

Post by bikeaddict »

It depends on the brand of motherboard. Mine is an MSI Tomahawk and there are several Thermal Throttle Limit options under Precision Boost Overdrive in the overclocking settings. Asus, Gigabyte or Asrock may have different options.

https://wccftech.com/msi-x670-b650-moth ... -features/
Mxyzptlk
Hardware configuration: Lots... Look at my website: www.mxyzptlk.us

Post by Mxyzptlk »

I’ve been playing with BOINC with my CPU’s. It’s cpu control is a much needed improvement that F@H should adopt.
I fold..... look at my folding setups here: www.mxyzptlk.us
FaaR

Post by FaaR »

Mxyzptlk wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:53 am I’ve been playing with BOINC with my CPU’s. It’s cpu control is a much needed improvement that F@H should adopt.
I last ran BOINC ten years ago at least, I don't really remember anymore. But at the time, you could set CPU usage as a percentage, and it was actually really accurate. That always fascinated me. Depressing that all this time later, F@H still hasn't adopted the same technology. Even built-in thread affinity locking would be useful, particularly on high core AMD CPUs, but we don't get that either.
Frontiers
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 5 5600x
G.Skill 2x16 GB 3200@3333
GTX 1070
Lancool II Mesh Perf.
Linux Mint 21.3
some drives, some cooler, some peripherials

Post by Frontiers »

Mxyzptlk wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:53 am I’ve been playing with BOINC with my CPU’s. It’s cpu control is a much needed improvement that F@H should adopt.
Actually it's no so with BOINC. You have just 2 numbers for CPU control from 1 to 100.
First number for how many of CPU threads one will use, but it may be counterituitive, because one need divide 100 by total number of threads, than multiply that result of "per thread percents" by number of wished active threads. It's not simple and not clear for everyone as FAH slot option with direct threads number.
Second number is "use at most CPU time, %", but if it entered less than 100 - it wouldn't be constant thread utilization as entered, but it will synchronously drop all threads utilization to very low percents from time to time, with maximum still at 100% and more often the less entered number, but maximum load will still same 100% and maximum temperature will rise very quickly during those 100% load periods and I don't think it's a good idea to cycle so fast between maximum temperatures during 100% load periods and lower temperatures during short dives to very low utilization of all threads.

All it looks like a mess for non-technical people and screams to be revamped in newer versions.
And I don't want those very counterintuitive controls and very broad temperatures range in FAH.

As for thermals - there are UEFI settings for limiting CPU's TDP, for undervolting Vcore, for more agressive fan curves that could drop temperatures significantly.
Mxyzptlk
Hardware configuration: Lots... Look at my website: www.mxyzptlk.us

Post by Mxyzptlk »

Everyone has their method.
I fold..... look at my folding setups here: www.mxyzptlk.us
SandyG
Hardware configuration: 2 Shuttle i9's with RTX3060, Old server mobo, Mint Linux with 2 RTX3090's and 2 RTX 4090. Dell 7920 RTX3060, RTX4070

[img]https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=1172112[/img]

Post by SandyG »

A super easy solution is to stop processing on regular CPU cores :D

Just kidding, I ran into some issues where CPU temps were pretty high, I ended up just using FAH Control to change the number of threads FAH will use on the CPU. I have a couple of small Shuttle shoe box computers running i9's and when I did process on the CPU I cut the number of threads way down to help. Eventually I just shut off x86 processing on all machines as the GPU crushes the WU so much faster, decided to save the heat in the little box and my power bill.

Hope I'm understanding what you are trying to do. I usually set the machine to finish off what it's working on, then update the number of threads, save and reboot.

Sandy
2 Shuttle i9's with RTX3060, Old server mobo, Mint Linux with 2 RTX3090's and 2 RTX 4090. Dell 7920 RTX3060, RTX4070