F@H client only works if I have DoS open and type FAHClient

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

UglyBoy

F@H client only works if I have DoS open and type FAHClient

Post by UglyBoy »

When I first installed the FAH software, I got up and running fairly quickly. However, this past few days for some reason, if I open the FAH client, it sticks on "connecting" until I open a DoS window and type FAHClient. The folding initializes and I have no trouble, but if I close DoS, the client also quits. why do I need DoS open for this software to run?
calxalot
Site Moderator

Re: F@H client only works if I have DoS open and type FAHClient

Post by calxalot »

Are you on Windows, Linux, or Mac?

What is DoS?
If you mean a Windows shell, that's not the normal way to launch the client.
There should be a shortcut item in your Start menu.
With default install settings, FAH should launch on logon.
FAHClient uses the current directory as its data dir, so you may have multiple data directories from launching via command prompt.

Check log.txt in the FAH data directory for errors.
UglyBoy

Post by UglyBoy »

calxalot wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:39 am Are you on Windows, Linux, or Mac?

What is DoS?
FAHClient uses the current directory as its data dir, so you may have multiple data directories from launching via command prompt.

My bad, I meant CMD not DoS. Whenever I start the client, it hangs on "connecting" until I open CMD and type in FAHClient, then the client will connect and run. but if I close the CMD window, the client shuts down. I have restarted my system numerous times and I am having the same issue.
UglyBoy

Post by UglyBoy »

calxalot wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:39 am Are you on Windows, Linux, or Mac?

What is DoS?

And yeah, I am using windows 10
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The default settings when installing the F@h client runs the FAHClient process in the background using Hideconsole. It starts up when your system is started. If you elected to not have it start up automatically there is a shortcut created that should be used to run F@h that does the same thing. It has the correct parameters for running FAHClient in a hidden CMD shell that includes the correct working directories. Without FAHClient running in the background there is nothing for FAHControl or the Web Control to connect to.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

The client will only start at boot on Windows if you select the service install. By default the start automatically will start on logon.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

The service install will not allow GPU folding due to security restrictions.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

UglyBoy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:22 pm When I first installed the FAH software, I got up and running fairly quickly. However, this past few days for some reason, if I open the FAH client, it sticks on "connecting" until I open a DoS window and type FAHClient. The folding initializes and I have no trouble, but if I close DoS, the client also quits. why do I need DoS open for this software to run?
How do you start the client ?

The only right way to start it is to use the shortcut called "Folding@Home" in you start menu > Folding@home folder. Anything else (WebControl, FAHControl, ...) won't start the client, you must start it before using these links.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
UglyBoy

Post by UglyBoy »

toTOW wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:56 pm
UglyBoy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:22 pm When I first installed the FAH software, I got up and running fairly quickly. However, this past few days for some reason, if I open the FAH client, it sticks on "connecting" until I open a DoS window and type FAHClient. The folding initializes and I have no trouble, but if I close DoS, the client also quits. why do I need DoS open for this software to run?
How do you start the client ?

The only right way to start it is to use the shortcut called "Folding@Home" in you start menu > Folding@home folder. Anything else (WebControl, FAHControl, ...) won't start the client, you must start it before using these links.
I start the client from the start menu and it just hangs on "connecting" until I open CMD and type FHAClient, then it starts running. I will try uninstall and reinstall see if that helps.
UglyBoy

Post by UglyBoy »

ok folks. thanks for all the info. I uninstalled the wwhole thing, then reinstalled and it is working fine again now. Thanks again for the help