how to stop search ignoring terms? Looking for a topic

Moderator: Site Moderators

DRQ

how to stop search ignoring terms? Looking for a topic

Post by DRQ »

Hi,
I thought there used to be a forum / topic along the lines of "reasons why people stop folding" but I can't find it. So I tried searching for it using that term. The search returned one hit (not what was wanted) but:
ignored: why folding
I even tried the advanced search and putting '+' in front if each word as per "Place + in front of a word which must be found". Still it ignores some of the terms.
I appreciate those are common terms but they are significant in my search. OK, I can spend time making various attempts with different terms but when I'm feeling quite frustrated with folding (hence looking for that topic) I don't really want to.
Surely there's a way of saying that you actually want to find those terms?
If anyone can point me toward a way of searching that will actually look for the terms I'm searching for then I'd appreciate it, or point me to the topic itself.
bikeaddict

Re: how to stop search ignoring terms? Looking for a topic

Post by bikeaddict »

Any words being ignored by the site search here may be limitations of the database (likely MySQL or MaraiaDB) default stopwords list on the full-text index of the table that stores the content.

There is this very old thread found by using a site:foldingforum.org filter to limit Google search to this forum.

Answers to: Reasons for not using F@H.
viewtopic.php?t=1164
Lazvon
Hardware configuration: 4080 / 12700F, 3090Ti/12900KS, 3090/12900K, 3090/10940X, 3080Ti/12700K, 3080Ti/9900X, 3080Ti/9900X

Post by Lazvon »

Often three character words are ignored by forum searches because they show up in so many posts.
Folding since Feb 2021. 1) 4090/12900KS, 2) 4080/12700F, 3) 4070Ti/9900X, 4) 3090/12900K, 5) 3090/10940X, 6) 3080Ti/12700K, 7) 3080Ti/9900X

DRQ

Post by DRQ »

bikeaddict wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:14 pm Any words being ignored by the site search here may be limitations of the database (likely MySQL or MaraiaDB) default stopwords list on the full-text index of the table that stores the content.

There is this very old thread found by using a site:foldingforum.org filter to limit Google search to this forum.

Answers to: Reasons for not using F@H.
viewtopic.php?t=1164
Thanks for the search tip (use Google) and the link to the thread.

I'll have to improve my Google searching skills to get up to your standard.

I thought there was a ongoing thread on the topic, to collect feedback from users. That thread was active for quite a long time and I think it was the one I was thinking of. I didn't realise that it had fallen into disuse.
DRQ

Post by DRQ »

Thanks to those who replied. I appreciate that the issue may be a limitation in the system underpinning the forum. I can see the worth of ignoring terms in the basic search but when you really want to search using those terms I would like to think it'd be possible, without resorting to the use of an external search engine.

Thanks again.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Yes, the basic search provided with the phpBB code is limited. On the previous host running an older version of the phpBB software a prior admin had added Google search as an option, but that did not carry over to the current host and version of the software. Currently I have most of the admin access levels, but that does not extend to the level of installing many of the available add-ons for phpBB. Perhaps in time an improved search will be added, but there are some other forum issues higher on my priority list.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3