HowTo Question: Convert from 7.6 machine to Beta 8.3

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

pcwolf

HowTo Question: Convert from 7.6 machine to Beta 8.3

Post by pcwolf »

I am a long time folder with two purpose built machines. Figure I can use one as a test bed.

Since the folding core "backend" is 7.6, is there a way to installing just the beta front end?

Or should it be a complete uninstall and re-install?

I run Manjaro Linux. The 7.6 Foldingathome is available on AUR. I can download the beta *.deb files and unpack, but trying my first attempt at editing the AUR build file is very intimidating (as it should be!).

The in-progress 8.3 installation instructions follow many of the existing 7.6 instructions since they are so parallel.

Or is the impending release of the beta within the timeframe of me teaching myself how to build and make -- like by year end? :ewink:

Thanks in advance
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: HowTo Question: Convert from 7.6 machine to Beta 8.3

Post by Joe_H »

You can just install 8.3 over the existing 7.6 install. The installer will read the config.xml file for settings and use most of them. v8 stores its settings inside a client.db file instead of config.xml. The 7.6 FAHClient executable will be replaced with the v8 fah-client and FAHControl will be removed. The logs and work directories will remain, but v8 currently will not resume processing any WUs downloaded by the v7 client. So finish any WUs first before installing v8.
pcwolf wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:31 pm Since the folding core "backend" is 7.6, is there a way to installing just the beta front end?
The backend is not v7.6 at all. It does use the same folding cores, but when it downloads them the directory structure is different from v7.6. The frontend for control and monitoring is web browser based Another change is that v8 uses a gpus.json file instead of GPUs.txt.

If you use HFM.net for monitoring, as I understand it that has not yet been updated to work with v8. You also can not use the v7.6 FAHControl to connect with a v8 client and vice versa.

I do not know when they plan on moving v8.3 from public beta to full release.

There are some other changes with v8 that I am not thinking of at the moment, but I think I remembered the major ones.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
pcwolf

Post by pcwolf »

Thank you Joe. You have provided me a fine meal to digest, and an open way to proceed. TBD
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

There is not yet an rpm linux installer package. You would need to build it from source. The bleeding edge builds are broken, so you would need to git switch to the desired release tag before building. v8.3.6 might work best. There have been some changes to rpm building since v8.3.1.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »