Radeon RX 560 Disabled in client

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

meb

Radeon RX 560 Disabled in client

Post by meb »

Hello!
I've installed an old second GPU, and after having installed (or more like reintalled) all the drivers for my 2 GPU to work together, well the second GPU I installed can't work.
(It's a Radeon RX 560 / I'm on Windows)

ImageImage

The client told me to ask on the forum for what is going on.
Can someone help me please? (and how to reduce the scale of the images please) Thanks! :D
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Radeon RX 560 Disabled in client

Post by Joe_H »

I don't know if this is the case here, but in the past people have sometimes had problems with drivers when GPUs were from different series of chips. It may get fixed by installing drivers twice, once for each GPU. It may also matter which version of AMD's drivers are installed, there have been some problematic ones.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Re: Radeon RX 560 Disabled in client

Post by muziqaz »

AMD does not support pre-RDNA GPUs with latest drivers. They have split the driver branches into pre-rdna (legacy support) and RDNA+ driver packages.
If you have RDNA GPU (6600xt) and GCN or pre-RDNA GPU (RX560) in the same system, and you have downloaded any driver from 2024, your rx560 will not be supported, and FAH will not recognise it properly. Unfortunatelly there is no workaround for this, but on the plus side, if you remove rx560 from your system, FAH will not lose much, as rx560 is very low end by now and rarely gets any work. Unless upcoming HIP fahcore supports RX500 series, I think we might start thinking to remove FAH support for those cards.
FAH Beta tester