Project: 2665 (Run 0, Clone 355, Gen 24) Points not awarded?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Great_Gig
Hardware configuration: CPU: Intel Q6600 'GO' @ 2.88GHz (20% Overclock)
Cooling: Thermalright HR-01 Heat Sink + Nexus 120mm Silent Fan
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
RAM: 1GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 800MHz
Disk: 1GB OCZ USB Flash Drive
PSU: Enermax Pro 82+ 385W
O/S: Diskless System - 64bit Linux SMP Client
Monitor: FahMon 2.3.2b
Power Consumption: 84W

Re: Project: 2665 (Run 0, Clone 355, Gen 24) Points not awarded?

Post by Great_Gig »

That seems to be the problem then - even though I have successfully processed 3 works units since July 5th, I have only been credited with 2, as 1 was a duplicate..... bummer :(

Well at least the problem has been found and it's something I will have to monitor from now on, to make sure I am not wasting time and money, processing the same WU's.

Just to clear up my understanding then, the Run, Clone & Gen numbers signify the actual type of WU and they should always be different? Should this happen again then, I should kill the client and start again, so as not to waste folding time - is this correct?

Seems I'll have to put this one down to experience then, but at least I have learnt something along the way..... shame about the 1,920 points lost Image
Last edited by Great_Gig on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team: 132987
notaussiefloyd.com F@h Team
Folding: Q6600 @ 2.88GHz | Notfred Diskless Linux 64bit SMP
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Great_Gig wrote:Just to clear up my understanding then, the Run, Clone & Gen numbers signify the actual type of WU and they should always be different?
That's correct. As far as the duplicate WU being assigned after a WU has successfully finished and uploaded, that's very, very rare.
Great_Gig

Post by Great_Gig »

ChelseaOilman wrote: That's correct. As far as the duplicate WU being assigned after a WU has successfully finished and uploaded, that's very, very rare.
Thanks - at least it's nothing wrong with my Folding rig, which was something I was concerned about? Shame I didn't understand the log at the time, I actually watched it happen without knowing, as if I'm around I normally monitor the completion of a WU - doh!

Very rare you say?.......... maybe I should buy a Lottery Ticket this weekend :ewink:
bruce

Post by bruce »

ChelseaOilman wrote:That's correct. As far as the duplicate WU being assigned after a WU has successfully finished and uploaded, that's very, very rare.
Great_Gig wrote:Thanks - at least it's nothing wrong with my Folding rig, which was something I was concerned about? Shame I didn't understand the log at the time, I actually watched it happen without knowing, as if I'm around I normally monitor the completion of a WU - doh!

Very rare you say?.......... maybe I should buy a Lottery Ticket this weekend :ewink:
Yes, you should buy a ticket. ;) The circumstance that happened to you, doesn't happen often enough for you to waste your time looking for it. (Same WU completed without errors twice.)

There are some circumstances where it might happen, though.
1) If you try to move work from one machine to another, you can cause duplicate assignments.
2) If the client finds an error (EUE) and deletes the work, it may move on to a duplicate copy of that WU. If you use one of several methods to un-delete the WU, you can get partial credit for the incomplete WU and then perhaps NOT get credit for successfully completing it later.

Both of these situations happen because you actively try to override FAH's choices, though. The unlikely situation is that it would happen without you doing anything.
Great_Gig

Post by Great_Gig »

Thanks Bruce, didn't win the lottery either! The rig's doing fine and I have not been issued any duplicate WU's so far, so hopefully it was a one off? Just one of those pesky computer things. I guess the WU being routed to the wrong server just as I was being assigned was unusually bad luck.