Way to track individual machines

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

chungenhung

Way to track individual machines

Post by chungenhung »

Is there a way to track the progress of EACH individual machine?
Setting up different username is not what I am looking for.
I have machines scattered around various buildings, and are looking for a way to manage it to make sure it is still running.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Way to track individual machines

Post by 7im »

You're kidding, right? All this time on the forum, and you don't know about 3rd Party tools like Fahmon or EMIII to track clients?

See the 3rd Party Apps section of the forum. Tools List sticky.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
chungenhung

Post by chungenhung »

7im wrote:You're kidding, right? All this time on the forum, and you don't know about 3rd Party tools like Fahmon or EMIII to track clients?

See the 3rd Party Apps section of the forum. Tools List sticky.
I do know them, what I don't know is the capability to track down machines from outside the LAN.
Say if I leave machines in 2 different building, and I don't have a LAN in between the buildings.
John Naylor
Hardware configuration: Q9450 OC @ 3.2GHz (Win7 Home Premium) - SMP2
E7500 OC @ 3.66GHz (Windows Home Server) - SMP2
i5-3750k @ 3.8GHz (Win7 Pro) - SMP2

Post by John Naylor »

If you have some sort of webspace you can use then people on here have set up batch files to upload log files from one place and download them to another (for the purposes of FahMon). I'm not such a person but I'm sure those that have will comment :)
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
chungenhung

Post by chungenhung »

John Naylor wrote:If you have some sort of webspace you can use then people on here have set up batch files to upload log files from one place and download them to another (for the purposes of FahMon). I'm not such a person but I'm sure those that have will comment :)
That would be awesome. But I don't know how to do that just yet.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Fahmon can export a html file with the data ... then upload this file to a webspace, and build a front page to centralize this. (CuteFTP has some scheduling options for example).

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Great_Gig
Hardware configuration: CPU: Intel Q6600 'GO' @ 2.88GHz (20% Overclock)
Cooling: Thermalright HR-01 Heat Sink + Nexus 120mm Silent Fan
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
RAM: 1GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 800MHz
Disk: 1GB OCZ USB Flash Drive
PSU: Enermax Pro 82+ 385W
O/S: Diskless System - 64bit Linux SMP Client
Monitor: FahMon 2.3.2b
Power Consumption: 84W

Post by Great_Gig »

Fantastic, didn't know it could do this, just tried it out and it gives all the info you need for a simple offsite web monitoring tool. I already had CuteFTP, so scheduling transfers to my webspace was a cinch. FahSpy it seems cannot do this (developer hint here?), so it's back to FahMon for me. :)

Thanks for the info guys.....
Team: 132987
notaussiefloyd.com F@h Team
Folding: Q6600 @ 2.88GHz | Notfred Diskless Linux 64bit SMP
mfl0p
Hardware configuration: vista, xp, linux, vmware smp, gpu2, ps3 you name it I got it.

Post by mfl0p »

I've always liked the ability to track each machine's production in BOINC. Everything from system hardware to IP address is available in the BOINC user stats pages.

I would love to see this implemented in F@H's user stats pages.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

Send all unitinfo.txt to a server via ftp and then display them using apache.

Something like the one in my sig maybe.
chungenhung

Post by chungenhung »

Seems that all those methods works. However, I would like to see the Pande Group do something like the BOINC stats page.
It saves the user having to go through all the hoops.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

I do know them, what I don't know is the capability to track down machines from outside the LAN.
Say if I leave machines in 2 different building, and I don't have a LAN in between the buildings.
Set up a VPN between the networks with Hamachi. I can monitor my home machines with FahMon from most places on the road.

Look for the Feb 08 issue of MaximumPC magazine, page 50.
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
chungenhung

Post by chungenhung »

My current solution looks like this:
Install CuteFTP on each Folding machine that are not in my house. Schedule an automatic "Backup local to remote" in CuteFTP to some webspace. Personally, I set the time to every 10 min for the GPU2 client, 30min for SMP. The files to upload include client.cfg, FAHlog.txt, unitinfo.txt, queue.dat.
Install CuteFTP and FAHmon on my main machine, the one with monitor, keyboard and mouse. In CuteFTP, I did a "Synchronize Folders" from Remote to Local, and this occurs every 10 min or 30 min depending on how much bandwidth the files take.
Then, I can simply use FAHmon to monitor all my computers, even though they are not physically in my house.
I also installed logmein on the remote machines, just in case I need to connect to them and do some configurations.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

chungenhung wrote:Seems that all those methods works. However, I would like to see the Pande Group do something like the BOINC stats page.
It saves the user having to go through all the hoops.
mfl0p wrote:I've always liked the ability to track each machine's production in BOINC. Everything from system hardware to IP address is available in the BOINC user stats pages.

I would love to see this implemented in F@H's user stats pages.
I'd like to see those features, too, but they may never happen.

Fundamentally, BOINC has done an excellent job of programming a lot of nice features. (Their strength is in Computer Science.) FAH has done an excellent job of getting outstanding science done (Their strength is in Molecular Analysis.) Both have done a less than stellar job for the opposite "half" of their projects.

Personally, I'm willing to forgo some of the nicer database features that BOINC has and accept the fact that FAH's emphasis has always been on getting state-of-the-art science done. They have to allocate their programming time (i.e.-Money) toward what they consider most important and do the lesser important tasks later (or never).
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

chungenhung wrote:My current solution looks like this:
Install CuteFTP on each Folding machine that are not in my house. Schedule an automatic "Backup local to remote" in CuteFTP to some webspace. Personally, I set the time to every 10 min for the GPU2 client, 30min for SMP. The files to upload include client.cfg, FAHlog.txt, unitinfo.txt, queue.dat.
Install CuteFTP and FAHmon on my main machine, the one with monitor, keyboard and mouse. In CuteFTP, I did a "Synchronize Folders" from Remote to Local, and this occurs every 10 min or 30 min depending on how much bandwidth the files take.
Then, I can simply use FAHmon to monitor all my computers, even though they are not physically in my house.
I also installed logmein on the remote machines, just in case I need to connect to them and do some configurations.
Why would you upload client.cfg? or any other file besides FAHlog and unitinfo.
chungenhung

Post by chungenhung »

v00d00 wrote:
chungenhung wrote:My current solution looks like this:
Why would you upload client.cfg? or any other file besides FAHlog and unitinfo.
I thought client.cfg is needed for it to read out the username and team information.
The quene.dat is needed for FAHmon, or else it would not show any progress.
I have no clue why.