Reward Scheme

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

ashleylist

Reward Scheme

Post by ashleylist »

I dont know if this would be possible, but could we not have a reward point system for folding?

Not sure if you have this sort of thing state side, but we in the UK can earn points for shopping via the nectar in J.S.Sainbury and now online +the American express credit card. typically £1 = 1 point. me i just build up the points up to save money at christmas were i re deam them as wine :)

Ash
codysluder

Re: Reward Scheme

Post by codysluder »

Where do you propose to get the money to cash out those points at christmas? The only rewards you can earn are things like certificates that do not cost Stanford University anything.

You're donating computer time to science (and you can donate money to FAH as well if you'd like to), but they spend all their money on programmers and servers and other things dear to the research.
ashleylist

Post by ashleylist »

Good PR from say Wal-Mart for say a bit of advertising on these forums for their products?

That’s assuming there's a reward card type system running in the first place that we can piggy back onto. either way this appears to be the future of advertising. so i'm told.
Xilikon

Post by Xilikon »

Don't forget that Stanford is not a business so there is no income to fund this system, only budgets for research expenses.
smASHer88

Post by smASHer88 »

I'm gunna go a bit off-topic, but i'm not sure if Stanford want to or not, but i'd be completely fine with them taking advantage of online advertising to support the forum, with ads from companies like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ATI etc.

I'm not saying this coz i think it would then be in turn a way for 'prizes' to be made, i wouldn't like that sort of thing to happen at all, but just so there is a little extra money in the coffers to help support the Folding@Home project. And actually i think it would be beneficial to have computer performance related ads flying round here.. i'd probs regularly click on some.
Cheers

Aussie Rules Footy | Team 52735
smASHer88 - AMD64 3500+ 2.2GHz 2GB WinXP Pro SP2 5.04
Lahm_Family - Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 2GB SMP
smASHer88_PS3 & Lahm_Family_PS3 - both 40GB PAL PS3s
shatteredsilicon
Hardware configuration: 1x Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3-1333
1x Phenom X4 9950 @ 2.6GHz, 4GB DDR2-1066
3x GeForce 9800GX2
1x GeForce 8800GT
CentOS 5 x86-64, WINE 1.x with CUDA wrappers

Post by shatteredsilicon »

How about establishing a registered charity branch in UK so that those of us here can claim tax breaks for donations? Not quite a "points" scheme, but a step in the right direction, at least.
1x Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3-1333
1x Phenom X4 9950 @ 2.6GHz, 4GB DDR2-1066
3x GeForce 9800GX2
1x GeForce 8800GT
CentOS 5 x86-64, WINE 1.x with CUDA wrappers
Jeannie

Post by Jeannie »

smASHer88 wrote:I'm gunna go a bit off-topic, but i'm not sure if Stanford want to or not, but i'd be completely fine with them taking advantage of online advertising to support the forum, with ads from companies like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ATI etc.
This forum, the Folding at Home Community Forum, is a separate entity from Stanford University and its Folding at Home project. The 'owner' of this forum, as I understand it, generously donates the time and money required to support it. So the 'owner' of this forum could choose to accept advertising to offset the costs of running the forum.

I doubt that Stanford University would allow online advertising on their web site.

Yes, I recognize that this is nit-picking <g>, but I want people to be grateful to the 'owner' of this forum for his/her/their generosity in supporting our 'community' so that it's easier for us as individuals to contribute to the Folding at Home Project.
smASHer88

Post by smASHer88 »

Thanks very much to the Owner of this Forum!!! Legend.

If you'd like to add advertisements, you've got my support.
Cheers

Aussie Rules Footy | Team 52735
smASHer88 - AMD64 3500+ 2.2GHz 2GB WinXP Pro SP2 5.04
Lahm_Family - Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 2GB SMP
smASHer88_PS3 & Lahm_Family_PS3 - both 40GB PAL PS3s
RedSooty

Post by RedSooty »

You actually do get special things if you play Platform Racing 2.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

This forum has always been strictly non-commercial, and will likely stay that way.

However, if you'd like to get some Supermart to sponsor a folding contest like a GPU manufacturer is currently doing, then more power to you. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
kelliegang
Hardware configuration: L1:Dual Core 1.6ghz, 1GB Ram
L2:
PC1&2:P2 3.2ghz, 1GB Ram, Gforce 6800 :(
PS3

Post by kelliegang »

I mentioned this in another thread and whilst it's slightly offtopic I think it could be very beneficial...

If a way could be implemented to track referrals it would open up a new world of opportunities for people to create competitions, rewards or just notoriety to fuel the spread of Folding@home...
I mean the only reason I know of folding@home is because of the family PS3 and I am a current student of public health and a past student of Biotechnology... Folding@Home needs to be spoken about more... I get 7 emails a day from "friends" promising 7 years good luck or with some angel flapping her wings but not once had I ever heard of Folding@Home, online or off.