Deadlineless Server comeback? [no]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Gary480six

Deadlineless Server comeback? [no]

Post by Gary480six »

I know that the Deadlineless server has been offline for quite some time but........

I see that Stanford has a new 10 point Work Unit - p4121_villinwt_folded_Amber03_Native
With a Deadline = 32.00 days Final Deadline = 48.00 days Points = 10.00

Doesn't that seem like the perfect Work Unit to be on a revived Deadlineless server?

Think of how many part-time Folders we could bring back into production.

Please?
Pette Broad
Hardware configuration: CPU folding on only one machine a laptop

GPU Hardware..
3 x 460
1 X 260
4 X 250

+ 1 X 9800GT (3 days a week)

Re: Deadlineless Server comeback?

Post by Pette Broad »

Actually, one of the old servers 133 has never gone down, its just sitting there empty, presumably waiting for timeless units to be returned. Interesting idea though :)

Pete
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Hello Gary480six, welcome to the forum. p4121 seems like an anomoly.

And in consideration of the latest developments with the project, (GPU, SMP, PS3) the current focus of F@h is more speed, not less speed. When a P3-450 MHz computer folding 8 hours a day can still make the deadlines of regular work units, there is even less of a need for timeless work units.

IMO, deadlineless work is not high on the F@h development list. Sorry.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

According to huangx, p4121 (and p4122) are not ready for distribution yet. The points and the deadlines are often meaningless until the project is prepared for distribution.

See viewtopic.php?p=7023#p7023
Sahkuhnder

Post by Sahkuhnder »

I had a 4121 issued back on the 8th. The only reason I noticed was that I had 10 points one update and thought it may be an EUE, but upon looking it turned out to be an actual 10 point WU. The system that got it was an old Prescott at 2.8 that did it in about a minute a frame.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Sahkuhnder wrote:I had a 4121 issued back on the 8th. The only reason I noticed was that I had 10 points one update and thought it may be an EUE, but upon looking it turned out to be an actual 10 point WU. The system that got it was an old Prescott at 2.8 that did it in about a minute a frame.
Well, about two hours on a 2.8 GHz machine should be about 10 points. I guess the points are not really that far from reality. Deadlines, however, are another matter. By the time the project is released, there's a pretty good chance that the duration of the run (and the associated points) will be changed.

This WU seems to have disappeared (as predicted).