This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Console Client runing with no install

Postby spazzychalk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:26 am

shouldnt a single user with that many processors throw up a flag in the system/
spazzychalk

Postby Iannis » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:28 pm

VijayPande wrote:We are looking into this.

...........and what is your decision ?
Iannis

Postby Buck Nasty » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Still no answer to this? I would think that F@H/Pande Group would respond to such a dangerous precedent setting move by Team FTL. My team donates thousands of dollars worth of electricity every month to be "honest folders". We pride ourselves in the fact that we work hard for the F@H program. This has eroded the morale of many team members and may have a long term affect on the future of F@H. If there has been an update on this issue, I apologize, as I could not find it. Please consider the weight that this issue carries.
Buck Nasty

Postby Iannis » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:39 pm

illegal or no who cares?

:( Correct
We spent money time and electricity for fair competition but .....

"From Tue Oct 14, you are looking into this"
Iannis

Postby bruce » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:02 am

Vijay said he was looking into it and I believe he is. It's not as simple as you think it is to prove or disprove that something is cheating. It takes considerable research and FAH needs to be fair, no matter what.

The fact that someone has access to a lot of computers is evidence, but by itself, it's not proof of anything. The fact that someone accuses someone else of something is evidence, but by itself, it's not proof of anything. I'm sure that additional information is being gathered and if appropriate, action will be taken.
bruce

Postby JX99 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:26 am

Looks to me like a cheating team

Supposedly the F@H client was distributed with a no cd crack and the users opted to fold under Team FTL.
They are distributing the FAH uniclient with a Far Cry 2 no cd crack,

The team should be removed for violating Stanford's license agreement for distribution shown below

Distribution of this software is prohibited.
It may only be obtained by downloading from Stanford's web site (http://folding.stanford.edu and pages linked therein)
or the web site of one of our commercial partners (Sony, NVIDIA, and ATI).

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/License
JX99

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:42 am

JX99 wrote:They are distributing the FAH uniclient with a Far Cry 2 no cd crack,

Send a link to the FC2 crack to me or to Vijay.
bruce

Postby JX99 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:09 pm

PM sent Bruce. Also CC'ed it to Vijay too.
JX99

Postby Iannis » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:30 am

.....anything new about this issue ??
Iannis

Postby endrik » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Another month has passed, and Team FTLis still thriving... there is 5800 active users as of today.

Of course you can take official position that the install is optional, but in reality few people read and understand that text. When for a 5800 users there is but twenty individual nicknames and the rest constitute one huge Anonymous user...
In fact some more people read, but these are rather dumb - second to Anonymous is a mysterious Any username you like user :ewink:

If these cracked FarCry2 players are dumb enough to do such things, it always is possible that someone will start black PR to the project after receiving high electricity bill. Does Pande really wish to risk that?

Of course deleting this "team" won't delete all these clients, but at least the very idea will be less obvious. Such skyrocketing team has to attract attention and more hackers will get inseminated this way. And that can lead to grim future for the project.
yours,
endrik

*Bookworms will rule the world
(after we finish the background reading).
endrik

Postby xyz_123 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:20 am

It seems Team FTL are now registering on other team's forums and posting a link to their blog, here:
Code: Select all
http://teamftl.blogspot.com

Their current top blog article offers a download link to an externally-hosted version of the F@H Multiple Uniprocessor Client Installer.

http://teamftl.blogspot.com/2009/03/folding-at-home-multiple-uniprocessor.html

External link to F@H installer:
Code: Select all
http://fileden.com/files/2007/1/9/616827/FAH-MUCI-beta-0.1.exe

Are there any official responses to this, please?
xyz_123

Postby toTOW » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:27 am

I didn't tested it, but they claim that the installer download the client from the Stanford servers, which is allowed.

Thanks for the link to their blog.
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby MtM » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:25 pm

Their EULA contains this.

ABOUT THIS INSTALLER:
THIS INSTALLER IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY TEAM FTL. IT DOWNLOADS THE LATEST FOLDING@HOME UNIPROCESSOR CLIENT (UNZIPS), SETS IT UP FOR MULTI-CORE PROCESSING, AND CONFIGURES THE CLIENT. AS A ***BETA INSTALLER***, IT HAS A FIXED TEAM NUMBER (14935) AND USERNAME. AS THE INSTALLER DOES NOT CONTAIN THE FOLDING@HOME CLIENT NOR EDITS ANY DATA FILES INCLUDING CLIENT.CFG, IT DOES NOT VIOLATE THE FOLDING@HOME EULA.

This is false. I confirmed it downloads the zipped console from stanfords, it then unzips it to as many folders as there are detected cores. Then it writes directly to the clients.cfg file, which they try to hide with including a fahlog.txt which makes it seem they do shell the client itself. Even if they try to hide it, they are breaking EULA atleast slightly with this.

I was abit worried they used my code I had posted on google before, but it's a simple nullsoft installer. And their uninstaller does not work btw, it leaves a hard locked folder in place which requires a reboot ( or unlock program ) to be deletable.

The installer I used was tested by virustotal and is 100% clean, there where no extra network activities going on, and there have been no other file or registry changes that I know off.

This seems to be OK imo, if it weren't for their efforts to hide the directly suppleid cfg files and fahlogs included in the installer. If they want to deny this, I'm sure I have a program somewhere which can dissasemble nullsoft installers and show me the contents of any included files.

I will say this, because it's otherwise clean and this installer on it's own isn't a bad thing, I wouldn't mind giving them some help with circumventing EULA breaches ( eg shell the client to write the cfg directly, which will also make their claim the configuration is fixed because of it being beta invalid as I can give them a gui for letting people edit it ).

Mehh this delayed my work on my own installer again, but I'm still quite sure I will be finished today :lol:
Last edited by MtM on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtM

Postby xyz_123 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Team FTL say they have scanned the .exe on their blog with Virus Total.

Quote from their blog:
As a beta installer, it has a fixed username and team, but we have checked it against the EULA and it doesn’t violate it. Users can change options by running the console client with the –configonly flag. Future releases will allow for custom configuration.

* FTL-Drive (149135)
* BigWU
* Advmethods
* Forceasm
* Service-enabled
* Installed to C:\Folding@HomeCPU

Fixed info?
The fact the link they posted is NOT hosted on Stanford's site?

Sounds suspicious either way.
xyz_123

Postby MtM » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Another issue I found...

About FAH-MUCI:

Most Folding@home users only install the "Systray" version, which only uses 1 core, while modern computers are multi-core. Furthermore, many users are hesitant against using a DOS-based console client, and most who don’t install it are either put off by the often complicated installation instructions and worries about performance and security. The Folding@Home Multiple Uniprocessor Client Installer (FAH-MUCI) is designed to provide a simpler interface for users to maximize the use of their PC for Folding@Home, by both simplifying the installation process and providing accurate information and debunking myths about Folding@Home in the course of the installation process.

Created by Team FTL.

Features of FAH-MUCI beta 0.1:

Works on Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7
Based on NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) and its various plugins
Detects number of CPUs
Downloads console client (Windows Uniprocessor 6.23) from the Folding@Home website, unzips it, and installs the appropriate number of clients (for now, up to 8)
Sets up all clients to run as a service (using the client’s built-in service installer)
Detects other running Folding@Home processes to prevent installation of extra clients and conflict of MachineID (aborts upon detection, MUCI is designed for clean installs)
Client.cfg is not created/edited, compared to other installers. The editing of client.cfg is against EULA and can also cause problems. Instead, the console client is run and information is fed to the console directly

As a beta installer, it has a fixed username and team, but we have checked it against the EULA and it doesn’t violate it. Users can change options by running the console client with the –configonly flag. Future releases will allow for custom configuration.

FTL-Drive (149135)
BigWU
Advmethods
Forceasm
Service-enabled
Installed to C:\Folding@HomeCPU
What to expect from future releases:

Specify download path
Specify installation path
Detailed messages/prompts during installation (download of client, unzip archive, number of CPUs, number of clients to install, type of client, configuration of client)
Adapting to newer client versions
Detecting physical cores vs. HT cores (unconfirmed in 0.1)
Allowing users to configure all options in the client
More information about Folding@Home, and the different settings of the clients
Installer automatically searches for an updated version of itself
Final installer page to show system specifications and what the installer will do
Optimization of code

In the further future:

SMP Client Installation
GPU Client Installation
Client monitoring tools
Web monitoring/Statistics
Passkey (possibly prompting a link to the passkey site)
Handling what to do when other FAH processes are found (abort? uninstall and overwrite? add more CPU clients onto a single systray client already installed?)

If anyone has any questions, ideas or features you would like to see, please comment to this post, or post on the tagboard. All bugs should also be reported here. Thanks!

posted by Team FTL at 5:19 PM

0 Comments:Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AboutTeam FTL (Faster Than Light) consists of people from various countries who came together online to spread the use of Folding@Home to the wider online community at large by debunking myths, thorough informed engagement and user-friendly installers.

Tagboard

• It did not detect any previous folding clients ( I have six, yet their installed clients have machineid 1 to 4 )
  • Installing as service ( didn't notice before ) isn't bad on it's own, but their uninstaller doesn't remove them.
  • It does contain premade config files, no additional processes where executed during installation.

Played enough with this, they do break EULA and they do not adhere to their own description.

edit: and because of their messing with machineID's they brought to light a bug in my own code, my config gui now shows errors because the client's when run with configonly give unexpected feedback ( eg, machineid seems to be in use... ) Nice going FTL ;)

I left a comment on their blog, would be nice if they would reply to it ;)

Another edit:

My bug was that in service mode the console's display the asknet section, which makes 100% sense since it can't anyway ( services can't have gui's ). So because of this installer installing services for machineID 1 to 4, my config screen and code trying to read from stdout got unexpected results ( didn't crash, just couldn't figure out what to do with it ). I got that fixed now thank you :)
MtM

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client