linux and PPC based machines

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

jackrabbit

Re: linux and PPC based machines

Post by jackrabbit »

i dont even know the root pass
By default, the root user is not enabled on Mac OS X and I have never needed it :wink:
If you do need su rights, use sudo. That shouldn't be necessary for something simple like this.
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

its not that specific machine i tried with a macbook and it too is refusing to touch the proxy... it can ping ok, curl is ok but fah refuses to talk to the internet.

as i suggested before, can i not bridge the internet from my machine in such a way that the mac can use it as a proxy unquestioned?
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Have you gleaned from curl what authentication scheme the proxy is using? The F@h client only understands the 'Basic' scheme. If the network proxy is using something else, you probably have to use a local tunneling proxy to get through it.

Every app has to be written specifically to work with the various authentication schemes or even proxy servers in general. The only thing the OS can do is to centralize the management of the proxy configuration for your machine. In theory, the OS could provide a tunneling proxy like I suggested above, but I don't know of any that do.
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.
Macaholic
Site Moderator

Post by Macaholic »

Have you tried bypassing the proxy?
Fold! It does a body good!™
bobmanuk

Post by bobmanuk »

grrr, networking keeps crashing, wont let me apply any changes, amongst other things this installs not feeling too well... now what did i do with those 10.4 disks?