Huntington's Disease

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

HuntWarrior
Hardware configuration: Windows 7 intel Ci7 2.80 Ghz + HD6700

Re: Huntington's Disease

Post by HuntWarrior »

DaveHand wrote:Looking forward to some good news on this disease too.

But until then, I will be very happy to read (and try to understand) the results of any related FAH projects.

Thanks.
That's true I am not only interested in my own family problem, but also in the other diseaeses ,beside that there are the simularities.
Everybody knows peopele within or outside the family with such welknown diseases.
Folding for a cure for Huntington's Disease! Team 46113 since 2004 pls look at http://en.hdbuzz.net/ so far in 13 languages and http://hdyo.org in English, Spanish and German so far, interperters are welcome!
DaveHand

Post by DaveHand »

I notice a paper has been released recently.

I also noticed that it is only available for the tidy sum of $31. :(

Is it possible to read this without paying?
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

DaveHand wrote:I notice a paper has been released recently.

I also noticed that it is only available for the tidy sum of $31. :(

Is it possible to read this without paying?
It is usual scientific paper publication method. Author of the paper will not set the terms. You pay to get early access and some time later it will go open.
DaveHand

Post by DaveHand »

Do you know roughly how long 'some time' is in situations such as these?
DaveHand

Post by DaveHand »

Does anyone?
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

It goes open after a year per current NIH rules.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
DaveHand

Post by DaveHand »

Thanks for the answer.

I'm struggling to understand the purpose for this charge and delay of open publication beyond the general business ethics of 'make what you can, when you can, how you can'.

Is there a good reason for this?
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

DaveHand wrote:Thanks for the answer.

I'm struggling to understand the purpose for this charge and delay of open publication beyond the general business ethics of 'make what you can, when you can, how you can'.

Is there a good reason for this?
The people who publish scientific journals have to pay their expenses somehow. They're businesses, too. It's not like $31 is a lot of money, even if it gets cheaper next year.

How much would you pay to see _______ in concert? (Insert the name of your vavorite music group.)
susato
Site Moderator

Post by susato »

In the US, state university libraries are generally open to state residents upon presentation of proper ID. You can't take out materials but as a taxpayer you can go to the library and use the materials there, including viewing them on the library's computers (or looking at their printed books and journals) and photocopying them or downloading them to a thumb drive. Large municipal libraries such as the New York Public Library are also open to all. Similar policies may well apply to national and provincial university libraries and national/municipal libraries in other countries. Most universities also allow alumni to visit their libraries. I have worked and studied at several universities and have generally found that anyone old enough to be part of a university community, who dresses and acts like a member of the university community, can usually walk into the university library and access its resources without trouble.

Try finding the library websites of nearby universities or medical schools, or the nearest large municipal library. You may have to use the librarians' email or contact webform to ask whether they will let you visit and use the library to look up the paper. Their online catalog will tell you if they carry the journal. Give it a try. Sometimes all you have to do is ask.
HuntWarrior

Post by HuntWarrior »

Is there any project for Huntington's at the moment??

It would be nice to know if there is a schedule for projects in general.

Of course we fold to help science overall.
Folding for a cure for Huntington's Disease! Team 46113 since 2004 pls look at http://en.hdbuzz.net/ so far in 13 languages and http://hdyo.org in English, Spanish and German so far, interperters are welcome!
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Sorry to bump such and old topic, but I can only find one paper on Huntington in the list. What happened to the second one?
Jorge1950

Post by Jorge1950 »

JonazzDJ wrote:Sorry to bump such and old topic, but I can only find one paper on Huntington in the list. What happened to the second one?
Studies in Folding@home, they actually help to all diseases. Learning the statistical mathematical models used; they are creating tools for analysis. Used approaches; they are creating strategies. The behavior of parts of the cell, as the membrane, it helps to the knowledge of total set.

And thus for each of the investigations. Some will be and other wrongs; but errors are required. Whether that it is investigating Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington, HIV, or simply the influenza. In the future when the cell function; be understood mathematically, the fight against diseases, it will be much easier.
Sorry for the translation. This aspect, obliges me to very short and concrete sentences. Little by little he will go forward, also in this field.
Thank you for your understanding. Jorge Barrientos
HuntWarrior

Post by HuntWarrior »

http://en.hdbuzz.net/ have a look here pls

Hans