Dual-booting & Machine ID's

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Eveofwar
Hardware configuration: ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
AMD Athlon 6000+ 64 X2 @ 3.00GHz (Stock)
nVidia GeForce 9800GT @ 650MHz GPU/950MHz Memory/1620MHz Shader (Stock)
2GB DDR2 RAM

Dual-booting & Machine ID's

Post by Eveofwar »

If I have my Windows XP boot and my Vista x64 boot...can/should I use the same machine ID for all the clients ?

Say...machine ID 1 for GPU2 and machine ID 2 for SMP client on my Windows XP, and the same machine ID 1/2 for GPU2/SMP on the Vista x64 boot.

Or should I use 3/4 for the GPU2/SMP on the Vista x64 boot ?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Dual-booting & Machine ID's

Post by 7im »

Depends... are you running each client from the same from both XP and Vista?

If yes, not only should you use the same Machine ID, but you should export the System ID from the first OS to the second OS. That way each client appears as the same client to Stanford, regardless of which OS is booted.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Eveofwar
Hardware configuration: ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
AMD Athlon 6000+ 64 X2 @ 3.00GHz (Stock)
nVidia GeForce 9800GT @ 650MHz GPU/950MHz Memory/1620MHz Shader (Stock)
2GB DDR2 RAM

Post by Eveofwar »

The machine is the same, just depends on which OS I boot to, whether it be Windows XP or Windows Vista x64.

How would I export my System ID ?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

There is more information about MID and SID in the fah wiki. This article talks about how to sneakernet work units from a network connected computer to a computer not connected, and discusses the IDs. While you are not transporting work units from one computer to another, you are doing it from one OS to another in affect. This should give you a primer, and the registry links are listed.

http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Sneakernetting

If you are confortable editing the registry, you can simply copy the info in the XP registry to the Vista registry.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.