timeout unit of measure

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

SombraGuerrero

timeout unit of measure

Post by SombraGuerrero »

I've read the equations for timeout and final deadline, and this may be a stupid question, but is that in hours, days, or what? Hours would make the most sense to me, but I'd just like to be sure.
anandhanju

Re: timeout unit of measure

Post by anandhanju »

Deadlines are specified in days.

Welcome to the Forum ;)
SombraGuerrero

Post by SombraGuerrero »

Taken literally, that would mean my computer would have 20 * 4 + 2 days to complete the WU's I've been assigned lately. Isn't that way too long? I interpreted my timeout as 20 * 4 hours + 48 for two days. That would give me just under five days to complete the WU's I've been assigned, which seems much more reasonable to me. So which interpretation is correct? By the way, in the deadline equation, 30 * max(numOfDays + 2.18), max(.........) is the max of what, exactly?
tbk-aracthebold
Hardware configuration: main system
i7-4790
8 gig ram
win7 64 bit
nvidia geforce gtx 980 kingpin
folding 1gpu and 6cpu

folding machine
win7 64 bit
gtx 660ti
gtx 760

Post by tbk-aracthebold »

Different client have different timeouts. The uni-processor has the longest of all the clients. Right now my uni has a deadline of 59days 18 hours and 44 mins, it will be done in 2days 18hours and 14 mins.

GPU deadlines are fast usually a few days
SMP is the same as the gpu with fast turn around.
PS3 not sure on them.

I hope this helps.
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

SombraGuerrero wrote:Taken literally, that would mean my computer would have 20 * 4 + 2 days to complete the WU's I've been assigned lately. Isn't that way too long? I interpreted my timeout as 20 * 4 hours + 48 for two days. That would give me just under five days to complete the WU's I've been assigned, which seems much more reasonable to me. So which interpretation is correct? By the way, in the deadline equation, 30 * max(numOfDays + 2.18), max(.........) is the max of what, exactly?
Ah, I see what you mean. The FAQ (and the formula) explains how they reach the timeout/ deadline timelines posted on the project summary page (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html). For e.g., if Project X's WU takes 1 day to complete on the benchmark machine, then the preferred deadline = 20 * (1) + 2 = 22 and the final deadline = max(30 * (1) +2, 10) = 32.

These calculations aren't of much use to us; the calculated values posted in psummary are all that we want. And as tbk-aracthebold said, different classes of WU have different deadline periods (SMP and GPU projects have tighter deadlines, possibly implying that different formulae are used).
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-Points

The Points FAQ is a good read, and has links to the benchmarking info for each of the clients.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
SombraGuerrero

Post by SombraGuerrero »

Aha! It's all starting to make sense now. Thank you for clearing so much of this up. You know, I started dabbling in this project a few years ago, but I never really took the time to start studying it until now.