Quick question on client.cfg

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

WangFeiHong

Quick question on client.cfg

Post by WangFeiHong »

strictly speaking, Is the editing of the client.cfg against the Folding@Home license? E.g. changing MachineID through client.cfg instead of -configonly
"You may not alter the software or associated data files."
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Re: Quick question on client.cfg

Post by MtM »

I think it's more a question of if direct edits will always be fail safe. clients.cfg uses chr(10) as linebreak as opposed to chr(13) or chr(10) & chr(13) and it might confuse people trying to edit with notepad. Using the clients built in configuration options is just fail safe.

I think I was told it's also not allowed when I made a gui for editing settings for client settings which directly wrote to the cfg file but I'm not sure if I remember that 100% clearly, I do clearly recall the above as a strong point to discourage it as alternative. It's is an associated data file, even if it's not directly the targer of the statement I think ( that would afaik be more aimed at editing wuresults ( creating fake one's ) or altering the clients themselfs to prevent downloading newer core revisions for instance.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Editing the config.cfg is not recommended because of the reasons described by MtM : manual edit often breaks the formatting, and resets client configuration.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Strictly speaking, yes. Editing the client.cfg file is against the EULA. Use -config, or -configonly.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.