FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Rum@NoV
Hardware configuration: Orion (SMP):
---------------
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600
Memory: 8192 MBytes PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics: Sapphire RADEON HD 5850, 1024 MB GDDR5 SDRAM

Deepcore_II (SMP):
----------------------
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
Memory: 4096 MBytes PC6400 DDR2-SDRAM

Nostromo (SMP+GPU):
--------------------------
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Memory: 4096 MBytes PC6400 DDR2-SDRAM
Graphics: EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT, 512 MB GDDR3 SDRAM

Re: FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

Post by Rum@NoV »

Hello UF,

Since using version 2.3.99.1 of FahMon some clients seem to disappear or sometimes locations of certain clients are randomly changed and I don't see why. I had a FahMon crash just a few moments ago and almost all my clients were gone again after restarting FahMon. I've took a ss of the crash, you can find it *here*.

I was looking for the file which containts the clients location and it seems to be the file "clientstab.txt". I did a search on that file and found 3 of them:

- D:\DistributedComputing\FahMon
- D:\DistributedComputing\FahMon\config
- C:\Documents and Settings\RumaNoV\Application Data\FahMon\config

The most recent file seems to be located in Documents and Settings. I also found that the xyz folder was moved to this location? Why are these two folders located here, why arent they where they used to be (in the FahMon folder?) Just out of curiosity: is there a specific reason you moved these 2 folders to this location? I would love to keep all the FahMon data centralized in one folder, can i move the folders xyz and config to D:\DistributedComputing\FahMon again?

Lots of questions :) Tia!

Edit: ok, lesson learned, i have to RTFM before asking questions :p
-l, --local Windows only
This option tells FahMon to store all settings in it's own folder, rather than using the
standard %APPDATA% location.
jaak ennuste
Hardware configuration: 3 x Nvidia Geforce GTX 295 cards (total 6 GPU's)
AMD Phenom x4 2600MHz Black Edition
MSI 790FX K9A2 Platinum system board, 4GB RAM
ATX case, 1000 W Chieftec PS
Windows XP 64-bit
More: http://estoniadonates.wordpress.com/

Post by jaak ennuste »

Yes FahMon 2.3.99.1 is messing up client names. Instead of entered name, random character, progress %%-tages or other offset info appears to this field. My FahMon is also crashing at least once per 24 hour. Sometimes giving error message, sometimes just its self-terminating.

Jaak
building 32 GPU folding rig: 16 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 cards; dual PSU solution; 4 nodes.
Website: Estonia Donates, ambitious 400 PPD supercomputer project
Sponsored by AdlerFlow ceramic coated Porsche exhausts
SantaFe

Post by SantaFe »

Must be a windows thing, working fine for me in Linux..:D.. (Except I can't re-size the Fahlog window for some reason. ;))
Aren't you glad you use http://foldingforum.org! Don't you wish Everybody did? :D
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

SantaFe wrote:Except I can't re-size the Fahlog window for some reason. ;)
That is due to be fixed.
jaak ennuste wrote:Yes FahMon 2.3.99.1 is messing up client names. Instead of entered name, random character, progress %%-tages or other offset info appears to this field. My FahMon is also crashing at least once per 24 hour. Sometimes giving error message, sometimes just its self-terminating.
This is an unfortunate side-effect of some code-cleanup. This happens more often because bad things aren't happening elsewhere in the code. I'm in the process of fixing it. It's related to some thread-unsafe code that is currently lingering in the codebase.
jaak ennuste
Hardware configuration: 3 x Nvidia Geforce GTX 295 cards (total 6 GPU's)
AMD Phenom x4 2600MHz Black Edition
MSI 790FX K9A2 Platinum system board, 4GB RAM
ATX case, 1000 W Chieftec PS
Windows XP 64-bit
More: http://estoniadonates.wordpress.com/

Post by jaak ennuste »

Uncle_fungus, thanks for concerning. Hope get more stabile build :)

Jaak
building 32 GPU folding rig: 16 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 cards; dual PSU solution; 4 nodes.
Website: Estonia Donates, ambitious 400 PPD supercomputer project
Sponsored by AdlerFlow ceramic coated Porsche exhausts
kiore

Post by kiore »

Just had Fahmon decide one of my GPUs wasn't working and directory not found, glad I checked here before trying to reinstall as everything was ok, just Fahmon decided to change directories overnight..
Yes using version 2.3.99.1 . Have come to trust this thing too much... do like it though, great tool.
All good again now.
12920.68 PPD and still an SMP to add.. 8-)
kiore.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: https://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewtopic.php?t=616
Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Post by Leonardo »

FahMon 2.3.99.1 is messing up client names.
Yes, big time.
MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson »

I'm using Windows 7 and it only seems to change the name of the current project in foucus, otherwise it doesn't affect the other clients I have running. No crashing yet, just the generic name changes.

-=Mark=-
ps, I spoke too soon. I just went to FahMon to check on it and it was closed. I'm pretty sure I didn't close, but maybe I did by mistake.
DFI UT X58-T3eH8 ** i7 920 ** 3GB G. Skill DDR3-2000 ** 9800 GTX+ ** Antec TPQ-850 ** Vista Ult. X64/Ubuntu x64 8.04.1 **

SantaFe

Post by SantaFe »

uncle_fungus wrote:
SantaFe wrote:Except I can't re-size the Fahlog window for some reason. ;)
That is due to be fixed.
Thanks. Boy, I'm always complaining 'bout something! :D
Aren't you glad you use http://foldingforum.org! Don't you wish Everybody did? :D
Dave

FahMon doesn't automatically update FAHLog display

Post by Dave »

I have two systems running the current Windows Systray version of Folding@Home (6.23) and the current Windows version of FahMon (2.3.99.1).

My Compaq CQ50-139WM runs Windows Vista Basic Home Edition (32-bit) with 2.0GB RAM, 2.0GHz CPU, and 139GB hard disk (46.6% full). My other system is an old Compaq Presario 1200 running Windows XP Professional SP1 with 184MB RAM, 785MHz CPU, and 5.58GB hard disk (99.8% full). Other than the obvious 7-year difference in processors and the fact that the Presario 1200 hard disk is almost full, the two systems are configured identically to run FahMon, but don't behave the same way.

On my CQ50, the FAHLog updates automatically (without manual intervention) as soon as a change happens. The Presario 1200, on the other hand, must be manually refreshed by pressing the F6 key in order to update the FAHLog. I have even double-checked all of the settings on Folding@Home on both systems, just in case there might be something that affects how often FahMon updates the FAHLog display, but there seems to be nothing that I can discern.

Is there something about Windows XP versus Windows Vista that would make FahMon behave differently? Since pressing the F6 key works just fine to reload the FAHLog, this isn't a show-stopper, but I would really appreciate any guidance you may have on this issue. It would be nice if the Presario 1200 would automatically update itself without the need for manual intervention. Thanks...
bruce

Re: FahMon doesn't automatically update FAHLog display

Post by bruce »

Dave wrote:On my CQ50, the FAHLog updates automatically (without manual intervention) as soon as a change happens. The Presario 1200, on the other hand, must be manually refreshed by pressing the F6 key in order to update the FAHLog. I have even double-checked all of the settings on Folding@Home on both systems, just in case there might be something that affects how often FahMon updates the FAHLog display, but there seems to be nothing that I can discern.
You didn't specify which monitoring preference you've selected, only that you double-checked the setting.

In the "preferences" menu item on the "Monitoring" tab, be sure the "Auto reload clients" box is checked and a reasonable number of minutes is in the next box, (such as 10 minutes). Does that help?

Reports regarding the "experimental reload system" are mixed. It may work for you . . . or it may not . . . and it may depend on which version of FahMon you're running.

I'll merge this new thread into the existing thread on FahMon.
Dave

Re: FahMon doesn't automatically update FAHLog display

Post by Dave »

bruce wrote:You didn't specify which monitoring preference you've selected, only that you double-checked the setting.

In the "preferences" menu item on the "Monitoring" tab, be sure the "Auto reload clients" box is checked and a reasonable number of minutes is in the next box, (such as 10 minutes). Does that help?

Reports regarding the "experimental reload system" are mixed. It may work for you . . . or it may not . . . and it may depend on which version of FahMon you're running.
Yes, thanks for your guidance, Bruce. I have the "Auto reload clients" box checked on both systems. Also, both systems were set to 1-minute reload intervals. Apparently, processor speed affects the experimental reload, so I'll try progressively higher intervals until it either works or I hit an unreasonably long reload interval, such as 15 minutes. I can't imagine why the system would need to wait that long to test for reload, but if the experimental reload doesn't work, should I check the "Reload clients in series" box? Maybe it's a memory issue on that system, since it only has 184 MB of RAM. Or, maybe it's some sort of hard disk space problem, since that system's hard disk is 99.8% full -- perhaps it can't cache the buffered logfile text? At this point, I don't care if the reload system is experimental or not, I just want it to automatically reload the client logfiles -- somehow -- without me having to hit the F6 key. I'm open to any suggestions or any other guidance you might wish to provide. Thanks for your help! :wink:

Post by 314159 »

since that system's hard disk is 99.8% full
[offtopic]
Whoa! Might I suggest that you free up a LOT of hard disk space prior to doing anything else.
I hope that you do not have any critical data on that drive. :?

Just trying to be helpful. :)
[/offtopic]
John (from the central part of the Commonwealth of Virginia, U.S.A.)

A friendly visitor to what hopefully will remain a friendly Forum.
With thanks to all of the dedicated volunteers on the staff here!!
Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Post by Leonardo »

Replace that drive. Hard drives are very inexpensive these days. You could probably double or triple your capacity for next nothing after a quick look on Craigslist.

And for goodness sake, please update your XP installation to SP3 (after you have more available space). :)

Post by 314159 »

[continue offtopic]
Ram is relatively inexpensive too.

Take a peek at Task Manager.
Be sure that you are sitting down at the time.
You should then be able to solve the problem on your own. :wink:

Right Leonardo (et al)?
[/continue offtopic]
John (from the central part of the Commonwealth of Virginia, U.S.A.)

A friendly visitor to what hopefully will remain a friendly Forum.
With thanks to all of the dedicated volunteers on the staff here!!