Top GPUs for Folding@Home

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
foldinghomealone2

Re: Top GPUs for Folding@Home

Post by foldinghomealone2 »

NoMoreQuarantine wrote:
foldinghomealone2 wrote: Why does the form require an email address?
I changed it to Username.
Here's the new link
https://forms.gle/4QGhU2ifzPyUnCny9

Not sure if it works correctly now.

Please make sure that your hfm-exports contain hardware information
WebCF

Post by WebCF »

Juggy wrote: I am not sure I agree with this to be honest. My 2060 Super is pushing 1.2-1.3 million PPD at the moment.
Can confirm that with my Gainward GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Ghost.
NoMoreQuarantine

Post by NoMoreQuarantine »

foldinghomealone2 wrote:Please make sure that your hfm-exports contain hardware information
Do you know how to make HFM.NET show the hardware information? Also, do we want to include bonuses in our PPD calculation or just use standard PPD calculation? I assume standard would be more future proof if bonuses change over time.
foldinghomealone2

you can rename your slot to like GTX 1060

Edit:
PPD is the valid currency for folding.
However it would be possible to look at TPF as well but then you need a big sample size as you can compare only same projects.
Endgame124

Post by Endgame124 »

Since I haven’t wanted to abort processing on my 1660 super for testing with the bench software, I adjusted the memory speed while processing a real WU. It’s not very scientific, but its interesting.

At stock, my power target was near 100% - memory at 6801 MHz and gpu clock at 1850, and I was processing at 679000 points per day (with a small variation).

Decreasing memory -250mhz briefly decreased board power, but the gpu quickly jumped to 1900mhz keeping board power near 100%. This increased estimated ppd to around 690,000.

Decreasing memory to -500mhz decreased board power again and the gpu went up another 50mhz (with small variation). Estimated ppd went up to 700000 with small variation.

Decreasing memory to -750mhz has the gpu occasionally jumping to 2000mhz, but it doesn’t stay there. Estimated ppd went back to 690k.

Decreasing memory to -1000mhz has no effect on gpu speed and estimated ppd went down to 660000. -1000 was as low as I could take the memory with EVGA precision X, so I might need to see if other software lets me go lower. I would like to see ppd at something like 4750.

Again, not scientific and only 2 minutes of observations on a live WU which will have variation on its own, but there appears to be a benefit to trading memory speed for gpu speed, to a certain point.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

Core clock speed is the critical factor over ram speed. Interesting that decreasing your ram speed allowed the card to boost further. It suggests your card is power limited. What in PrecisionX have you set your power limit to?
single 1070

Kebast

Post by Kebast »

foldinghomealone2 wrote:you can rename your slot to like GTX 1060

Edit:
PPD is the valid currency for folding.
However it would be possible to look at TPF as well but then you need a big sample size as you can compare only same projects.
How do you rename a slot? Sorry, can't find any way to do that.
Ryzen 5900x 12T - RTX 4070 TI
NoMoreQuarantine

Post by NoMoreQuarantine »

Kebast wrote:How do you rename a slot? Sorry, can't find any way to do that.
I just manually added my card under the slot name in the csv.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

In HFM? Click Clients, then Edit Client.
single 1070

Endgame124

Post by Endgame124 »

HaloJones wrote:Core clock speed is the critical factor over ram speed. Interesting that decreasing your ram speed allowed the card to boost further. It suggests your card is power limited. What in PrecisionX have you set your power limit to?
The card is a EVGA 1660 ultra black super clock. It’s a lot of words to mean I can’t increase the power target beyond 100%.

Looking at reviews of 1660 supers, it’s not uncommon for them to be able to run the gpu in the 2050 to 2100 range presuming a large enough power target and cooling. More than likely, my Gpu would land in the same range with full power / speed memory if I could increase the power target to 125%.
Kebast

Post by Kebast »

HaloJones wrote:In HFM? Click Clients, then Edit Client.
Oh, I see. I have the clients named, but have multiple slots on each client. I thought you could rename each slot.
Ryzen 5900x 12T - RTX 4070 TI
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

Kebast wrote:
HaloJones wrote:In HFM? Click Clients, then Edit Client.
Oh, I see. I have the clients named, but have multiple slots on each client. I thought you could rename each slot.
No sadly not. It's frustrating if the client has more than one slot and you want to easily remember which is which. I have one client with a 1070 and a TitanX and I would love to give them different client names but alas, it cannot be done.
single 1070

foldinghomealone2

I also thought it is possible to rename each slot.
Sorry for the confusion.
foldinghomealone2

@NoMoreQuarantine:
In your export you state you have a RX 590 but it shows 69kPPD only...
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

foldinghomealone2 wrote:@NoMoreQuarantine:
In your export you state you have a RX 590 but it shows 69kPPD only...
Possibly raw points with no QRB? Just a stab in the dark since I don't have HFM.

In that regard, does HFM use a format that would help you with the database? I haven't messed with it, and was just wondering if you were using it as a way to automate some points calculations or something.
Fold them if you get them!