Folding pratices guideline

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Xilikon

Re: Folding pratices guideline

Post by Xilikon »

Since there are no changes or comments, I'll submit this to the PG.
rjbelans

Post by rjbelans »

Xilikon wrote:This is in response to the recent events about a folder admitting of running a script to block unwanted workunits from being downloaded. Lots of comments defending him argue there are no defined set of rules against them. For them, no rules = not forbidden. The PG admitted the current problem is caused by a lack of written rules and good communication so from our discussion, we agreed that writing the rules would be a good start to tell everyone what is good for them and what isn't. We hope this will reduce the abuse and the useless flamewars over what is right or wrong. As for punitive measures, they will come with some ways later but it's not in our hands unfortunately.

Without further ado, let's start with a exhaustive list of behaviors. Try to make it as simple but precise so we can avoid leaving a few holes. I'll start with some of the most obvious ones :
Regarding The Project/Work Units (WUs)
  • 1) Manipulating the Assignment Server ("AS") logic in any way to obtain high Points Per Day ("PPD") Work Units ("WU") and/or block low PPD WUs is strictly prohibited. Sources: (PG Member, Super Moderator)

2) Deleting/Dumping a WU for any reason other than the reasons mentioned below is prohibited (source : PG Member). Deleting WU disrupts the project since it will take longer for the WU to be completed as it will be reassigned once it passes its deadline. Deleting a WU solely because it produces low PPD is prohibited. The only permitted reasons for deleting/dumping WUs are:
    A) WU Instability -> If it happens, please report it in this Forum
    B) F@h Client instability -> If it happens, please report it in the appropriate F@h Client Forum
    C) Inability of the host system to complete the WU before the Final Deadline -> If it happens, please visit this thread to select a F@h Client that fits your needs.
    (Source: Site Admin)

3) Using flags/switches to mislead the AS is prohibited. Please refrain from "experimenting" with flags/switches since they were designed to be used for specific purposes. Source: (PG Member)

4) Using any means to force the F@h Client to download a WU that is not natively designed for the hardware it is running on is prohibited. (Sources: PG Member, PG Member)

5) Running a F@h Client on hardware that will only marginally meet the WUs Preferred Deadline is strongly discouraged. For example, it is not recommended to run bigadv units on slower i7 CPUs and it is not recommended to run SMP units on slower 2-core systems. If you notice that your hardware is not going to complete the assigned WU by the Final Deadline time, stop the client, delete the work unit, and please visit this thread to select a F@h Client that fits your needs.

6) Intentionally stopping/pausing the F@h Client to manipulate the completion time and wuresult upload time of WUs is prohibited.
Regarding The F@h Clients
  • 1) Altering the F@h Client software, its associated data files or de-compiling/reverse engineering the software is in direct violation of EULA. (Sources: PG Member, PG Member)

2) Re-distributing the F@H files or packaging the F@H files inside another software package in a attempt to install F@H without the user's consent is strictly prohibited. (Sources: FAQs (see: running on authorized computers only), F@h Blog)

3) Using unpublished client switches for any reason is prohibited.
Thanks jebo_4jc and PantherX for providing a good list with excellent references and good phrasing to remove any ambiguity.

I trust everyone can come with more examples. It's a even better thing if you can find a link to a official comment from a PG member (especially Vijay Pande or Dr Kasson). Please don't turn this into a flamewar arguing what is right and what is wrong, it's not the purpose of this thread. In the end, the PG will use this for everyone's good.

Nothing has been said about this in a while, where does it currently stand?

I believe 2) under Regarding The F@H Clients may not be 100% accurate. It doesn't seem to read right. The portion of the current EULA is very clear that you can only get the files from Stanford or a couple of authorized sources.

Distribution of this software is prohibited. It may only be obtained by downloading from Stanford's web site (folding.stanford.edu and pages linked therein) or the web site of one of our commercial partners (Sony, NVIDIA, and ATI).

That should cover off any situation where the files are packaged with other software. The only thing that would need to be said in addition is that no third party software can download and install the clients on a computer without the owner's consent.
folding@evga - Donor Advisory Board Representative
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Xilikon wrote:Since there are no changes or comments, I'll submit this to the PG.
Submit to PG for what purpose? To be added to the EULA? Published on the News page? Stickied in the forum?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.