Need advise for server farm

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TheWolf

Re: Need advise for server farm

Post by TheWolf »

Here is something that might be of some help to ya.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=4464
linuxrouter VM image works well in VMplayer.
http://www.linuxforge.net/docs/crunching/fah-vmware.php
mark5365

Post by mark5365 »

Ya something is defiantly wrong here. I left my machine on today folding while i was at the shop setting up and learning ILO2/3/4 on these servers, came home and seen my pc was pushing 67k+ PPD. Its a nice pc and all but i would think that the 24 core server would blow this i7 out of the water. Im getting burnt out on this project so i might work on getting some "older" video cards for the servers and fold that way too. I tested out a old FireGL card and it was doing good. I might be able to get 2 or 3 nice workstation video cards in each of the DL585's. Im thinking that i can get some that dont need power to the card externally, then i can add more folding power with out adding to the power bill.
bruce

Post by bruce »

When performance doesn't seem right, you need to carefully consider all the possible implications of NUMA. SMP divides work across N processors and the speed of the nearest cache matters. It also syncs data between the various threads, so the speed of the slowest data path matters too, as well as how much data needs to move across that path. All this is in addition to the "fah runs at the speed of the slowest thread" concept which accomodates the ideas of interruptions from other tasks, even without involving the complexities of NUMA.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

mark5365 wrote: I might be able to get 2 or 3 nice workstation video cards in each of the DL585's. Im thinking that i can get some that dont need power to the card externally, then i can add more folding power with out adding to the power bill.
Mark5365, you do know that's illogical, yes? Cards with no external power connectors take their power from the PCIE slot instead and therefore can't run very fast producing not very many points.
single 1070