Top GPUs for Folding@Home

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Endgame124

Re: Top GPUs for Folding@Home

Post by Endgame124 »

iceman1992 wrote:
Endgame124 wrote:
bruce wrote:And what about the GTX 1600 series. FAH gains nothing from the extra features in the RTX series ... so unless your into AI or ray-tracing....
I have a 1660 super - completely stock in a well ventilated case, it’s pulling 700k - 800k ppd in Windows. I highly suspect that I’ll be able to dramatically down clock the ram to save power and increase points per watt. I would really like to get a comparison with someone running a regular 1660 to see if they get points in the same range. If so, we can validate that the much lower memory bandwidth of the normal 1660 doesn’t make a difference in ppd
I have a regular GTX 1660. Getting 500-630k PPD (More frequently hangs around 540k). I'm not sure if that's actually low or expected for this card. Anyone else with a 1660?
Since the GPU configuration is the same, if the 1660 gets 20% less ppd, then we would know the extra memory bandwidth is important and needs to be factored into expected points per day per watt (which is not reflected in synthetic TFlops performance expectations)
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

Endgame124 wrote:Since the GPU configuration is the same, if the 1660 gets 20% less ppd, then we would know the extra memory bandwidth is important and needs to be factored into expected points per day per watt (which is not reflected in synthetic TFlops performance expectations)
Yeah, but we need to confirm with another 1660 because I'm afraid my setup is somehow underperforming :?
NoMoreQuarantine

Post by NoMoreQuarantine »

Endgame124 wrote:Since the GPU configuration is the same, if the 1660 gets 20% less ppd, then we would know the extra memory bandwidth is important and needs to be factored into expected points per day per watt (which is not reflected in synthetic TFlops performance expectations)
The 1660 Super has 75% more memory bandwidth than the 1660. You could test your theory by dropping your memory clock down from 1750MHz to 1000MHz and, assuming it's stable at that rate, run a before/after test with FAHBench.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

Given we have so many folders, isn't the best way to sort this to just have a new thread asking for GPU model, core clock, OS and a PPD figure. Yes they will vary according to PRCG but with enough datapoints you'll still get a good enough average.
single 1070

iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

HaloJones wrote:Given we have so many folders, isn't the best way to sort this to just have a new thread asking for GPU model, core clock, OS and a PPD figure. Yes they will vary according to PRCG but with enough datapoints you'll still get a good enough average.
I was thinking of setting up a website to collect PPD data, submitted by users, any suggestions on how I can verify that the numbers are real?
Endgame124

Post by Endgame124 »

NoMoreQuarantine wrote:
The 1660 Super has 75% more memory bandwidth than the 1660. You could test your theory by dropping your memory clock down from 1750MHz to 1000MHz and, assuming it's stable at that rate, run a before/after test with FAHBench.
I will definitely do this when I run out of work!

It also looks like we can parse the F@H logs to mine data better than just checking in on the client every now and then as well. Need to see if someone has already done this, or if I should write my own parser.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

iceman1992 wrote:
HaloJones wrote:Given we have so many folders, isn't the best way to sort this to just have a new thread asking for GPU model, core clock, OS and a PPD figure. Yes they will vary according to PRCG but with enough datapoints you'll still get a good enough average.
I was thinking of setting up a website to collect PPD data, submitted by users, any suggestions on how I can verify that the numbers are real?
there is one but it's a little underutilised at present

https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-over ... abase.html
single 1070

Juggy
Hardware configuration: Intel i9 9900KF @4.9GHZ
MSI Z390M Gaming OC
64GB G-Skill Ripjaw 3200
Gigabyte RTX2060 Super Gaming OC
NZXT Kraken X63 AIO
Corsair RM850
Samsung 1TB Evo Pro NVMe

Post by Juggy »

iceman1992 wrote:
Ideally the benchmark tool would interrogate the GPU using a system similar to GPUZ and then automatically submit the data to an online database
Last edited by Juggy on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoMoreQuarantine

iceman1992 wrote:
Aside from collecting it via software that runs on their computers and submits it for them, I don't think there is a good way of verifying the numbers. I have been planning on doing something similar to this https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform using Google Forms, but for the new version of FAHBench. I'm not sure what the best settings for FAHBench would be however, and it seems like the current version may not be loading the GPU fully.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

FAHBench is not ideal IMHO because it doesn't represent the variety in the Wunits. The larger the GPU the higher the variance AFAICT. My TitanX loves big wunits that can get all its little cores busy and hates small units that leave half of it unused.

It's even more extreme for cards like 2080ti where a big unit can push the numbers over 4m ppd while a small one can halve that.
single 1070

NoMoreQuarantine

Juggy wrote:Ideally the benchmark tool would interrogate the GPU using a system similar to GPUZ and then automatically submit the data to an online database
That was one of my future feature proposals for FAHBench viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34295
HaloJones wrote:FAHBench is not ideal IMHO because it doesn't represent the variety in the Wunits. The larger the GPU the higher the variance AFAICT. My TitanX loves big wunits that can get all its little cores busy and hates small units that leave half of it unused.

It's even more extreme for cards like 2080ti where a big unit can push the numbers over 4m ppd while a small one can halve that.
Maybe we could run multiple WUs with different atom counts in FAHBench and average the results.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

HaloJones wrote:...It's even more extreme for cards like 2080ti where a big unit can push the numbers over 4m ppd while a small one can halve that.
Yep, on my GTX 1080 Ti, large WUs gets me 1.5 Million to 1.7 Million but the small ones get around 600K to 800K.

I think that taking a average may not be ideal IMO, instead a range from X to Y would provide a better picture. If I want to get constant PPD, I would go for something where the difference between X and Y is less. On the other hand, if I want the highest PPD, I know what values I am looking at on a large WU and on a small WU. That may prevent posts along the line of, I spent $$$ expecting to get 1.5 Million PPD but now I am only getting 600K PPD.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
uyaem

Post by uyaem »

iceman1992 wrote:
Off the top of my hear: would probably have to verify based on normal distribution (à la Gauß), after X submissions for the same project from different people, you could spot those that are too far up/down to (auto-)remove them from the statistic, then average the rest.
Happy to contribute data. :)
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
NoMoreQuarantine

PantherX wrote:Yep, on my GTX 1080 Ti, large WUs gets me 1.5 Million to 1.7 Million but the small ones get around 600K to 800K.

I think that taking a average may not be ideal IMO, instead a range from X to Y would provide a better picture. If I want to get constant PPD, I would go for something where the difference between X and Y is less. On the other hand, if I want the highest PPD, I know what values I am looking at on a large WU and on a small WU. That may prevent posts along the line of, I spent $$$ expecting to get 1.5 Million PPD but now I am only getting 600K PPD.
I have heard this from multiple people so far, but do not know why this happens. Why do GPUs with higher compute units perform worse on smaller proteins?
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

NoMoreQuarantine wrote:
PantherX wrote:Yep, on my GTX 1080 Ti, large WUs gets me 1.5 Million to 1.7 Million but the small ones get around 600K to 800K.

I have heard this from multiple people so far, but do not know why this happens. Why do GPUs with higher compute units perform worse on smaller proteins?
wasted capacity effectively. they become no more efficient than a card with half the cores and end up with only maybe 50% utilisation. give them a really big protein with >100000 atoms and the card can get up to >90% utilisation that then allows them to get comparatively low TPF, to return far more quickly than a lower spec card and get an exponentially large quick return bonus
single 1070