Stanford Network Issue {Resolved}

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TheWolf

Re: Stanford Network Issue

Post by TheWolf »

bruce wrote:
crescent wrote:I started to get my points too. Be it only about 5000, I'm still missing about 120.000 points. Do you think those are lost?
It will take some time to complete the updated process. See http://folding.typepad.com/ which says
The stats updating was put on hold until we can make sure everything looked ok. We've turned it back on. Please note that there is no stats loss while we turn off updates.
Ya but will there be loss for those we turned in while the servers where down?
I'm missing points from 12/10/11 right up till just before midnight yesterday 12/13/11.
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... s=&u=34966
I turn in on avg. 100k+ per day. Was 300k to 400k but I cut way back.
500 & 600 dollar power bills were killing me.
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

Just to reiterate the request for an update on the backlog of missing points.

Yes, the stats server seems to be up and running since last night and points for new WUs seem to be showing up. However, the 100s of thousands of points from the period when the server was down are still MIA.

I haven't even seen this acknowledged as an issue, nevermind an indication of outcome or timescale.
brainvision
Hardware configuration: - HAL9008
-- INTEL Core i7-7700K @4200MHz
-- MSI nVidia GTX 1050 Ti
-- RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz (TeamGroup)

- HAL9009
-- AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, 3200 MHz
-- GIGABYTE GeForce GT 740 OC 2GB
-- RAM 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (2 GB x 4)

Post by brainvision »

this is the good news we were waiting for: http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/12 ... e-now.html

Code: Select all

Here's our (I think) last update on this recent outage.  This was a major disaster at Stanford affecting the whole campus and I'm grateful for our team coming in on Sunday to get things back up.  The workservers have been up since then and work and stats have been saved.  The stats updating was put on hold until we can make sure everything looked ok.  We've turned it back on.  Please note that there is no stats loss while we turn off updates.  People should see a big bump in their stats shortly.  Thanks for bearing with us through this.
I'm going to verify just in a moment..
WiSK

Post by WiSK »

rwh202 wrote:Just to reiterate the request for an update on the backlog of missing points.

Yes, the stats server seems to be up and running since last night and points for new WUs seem to be showing up. However, the 100s of thousands of points from the period when the server was down are still MIA.

I haven't even seen this acknowledged as an issue, nevermind an indication of outcome or timescale.
Vijay Pande wrote:People should see a big bump in their stats shortly.
All depends on the definition of "shortly" :)
brainvision

- HAL9009

Post by brainvision »

mmm.. for me and for my team no news and no updates.. still have to wait.. :D
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

WiSK wrote:All depends on the definition of "shortly" :)
Probably the same as "soon" ;)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
kromberg

Post by kromberg »

Seems like newer submitted WUs are getting processed ahead of the older ones. Anyone know it that is the case?
DocJonz
Hardware configuration: Folding with: 4x RTX 4070Ti, 1x RTX 4080 Super

Post by DocJonz »

kromberg wrote:Seems like newer submitted WUs are getting processed ahead of the older ones. Anyone know it that is the case?
That's pretty much standard.
Give the backlog a couples of days to catch up stats-wise ......
Folding Stats (HFM.NET): DocJonz Folding Farm Stats
Bob8421

Post by Bob8421 »

kromberg wrote:Seems like newer submitted WUs are getting processed ahead of the older ones. Anyone know it that is the case?
It's true for me. After the announcement that stats were back up, I received proper credit for all newly completed work units. But I haven't received any points at all for the 24 work units and 122,000+ points that were submitted during the past 3 days.

For PG "soon" can mean anything from hours to never.
orphic1
Hardware configuration: Main rig: Core i5 2500k OC'ed to 4.5Ghz, stable on air, 8GB's 1600mhz DDR3, EVGA GTX 560Ti.

Post by orphic1 »

Bob8421 wrote:
It's true for me. After the announcement that stats were back up, I received proper credit for all newly completed work units. But I haven't received any points at all for the 24 work units and 122,000+ points that were submitted during the past 3 days.

For PG "soon" can mean anything from hours to never.
I as well am missing about 90,000 -100,000 points myself and only seeing credits for newly completed WU's.
brainvision

- HAL9009

Post by brainvision »

I would like to ask for a question that maybe could seems OT.. How do you take note of the points that still have to be assigned (in general and in this particular situation): by adding finished scores to a personal text file? or how?

thanks..
Last edited by brainvision on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jorge1950

Post by Jorge1950 »

Statistics have not been lost. Its reconstruction was simply postponed.
The data is not lost. Is returned when a drop of this magnitude, it has to be done gradually.

People who have experience, know that the initial is backing up data. Then will recomposing services, little by little, noting, fine tuning, moving very slowly. It is the only way to recover with minimal losses.
This is a very good, recovery strategy. Have confidence. :)
See: http://folding.typepad.com/news/

Statistics of KakaoStats, they are based on hourly data from FAH. It would be desirable, but difficult, that KakaoStats can rebuild statistics of the Dec 11-12-13. Include them in a single period, it has been usual.
Last edited by Jorge1950 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for the translation. This aspect, obliges me to very short and concrete sentences. Little by little he will go forward, also in this field.
Thank you for your understanding. Jorge Barrientos
Bob8421

Post by Bob8421 »

brainvision wrote:How do you take note of the points that still have to be assigned (in general and in this particular situation): by adding finished scores to a personal text file? or how?
There have been issues with lost work units and missing points forever. So, for years, I have kept a spreadsheet listing every work unit that I have been assigned, the time that it was uploaded, and the points it should be credited. Each day I compare my expected points with the EOC stats for that day. When they don't agree, it is usually easy to tell which work unit(s) was/were not properly credited so it/they can be reported here.

I don't use the F@H stats very much because there is nothing but the current points total, which makes it very difficult to tell just what has or has not been credited if the total doesn't match my expectations. EOC stats show the work units and points credited in chronological order by 3-hour period, day, week, and month, making it pretty easy to match up with my spreadsheet.
DocJonz
Hardware configuration: Folding with: 4x RTX 4070Ti, 1x RTX 4080 Super

Post by DocJonz »

Bob8421 wrote: ..... for years, I have kept a spreadsheet listing every work unit that I have been assigned, the time that it was uploaded, and the points it should be credited. Each day I compare my expected points with the EOC stats for that day. When they don't agree, it is usually easy to tell which work unit(s) was/were not properly credited so it/they can be reported here.
Man, you've got the "F@H addiction" real bad :lol:
Folding Stats (HFM.NET): DocJonz Folding Farm Stats
kasson
Pande Group Member

Post by kasson »

As best I can tell, current WU returns are getting credited, but some of the ones were not recorded during the outage haven't shown up yet. Is this consistent with what donors see?
I believe Dr. Pande is on top of this already, but our logging system is fairly extensive, and I am running a quick analysis to pull work unit records that were not recorded due to the database outage. I will then forward those data to Dr. Pande.