ICS problem

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

folding4u

ICS problem

Post by folding4u »

Hi. I have a new computer I'd like to connect to the internet to get/send work and do this with a crossover ethernet cable.

First when I checked the LAN's 'Obtain an IP address automatically' , I got 'limited/no connectivity'. Now that I assigned the LAN of the computer with Internet as 192.168.0.1 and the one of the new computer as 192.168.0.2 and subnet for both as 255.255.255.0 (I haven't assigned gateway), the status of the connection changed to 'Connected, Firewalled'.

However, ICS still doesn't work (I have checked 'Allow other users to connect through this computer's Internet connection' in the options of the ADSL modem).

This wouldn't be such a biggie if I could fetch work for like 4 days at a time and then change the computer the modem is on although I'm not sure how long I would tolerate that...

Thanks for any help.

edit: oh and ICS is not the only thing that isn't working. I can't access shared directories on the other computer either.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Re: ICS problem

Post by v00d00 »

Try something like freeproxy if not. It will do the job with ease.

Can you ping the other computer? Have you added the other computer to your trusted list in your firewall?

If you are using Windows Firewall (hopefully not), then try disabling it on both sides, and if that is the problem can i recommend getting a proper firewall (Comodo, Zonealarm, etc).

You need to set the Gateway and DNS on your machine that connects to the ADSL. The other one should probably have the ip of your gateway machine as gateway, or no gateway.

As for ICS i never used it as the connection was flaky at best. I used freeproxy to forward connections, with a lot more ease than the M$ alternative.

The shared directories might be because Netbios is blocked. It definetly sounds like a firewall problem.
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Post by RAH »

Here is a good how to.

And as mentioned in it, easier to just get a router.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

RAH wrote:Here is a good how to.

And as mentioned in it, easier to just get a router.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp
I agree. And they're cheap.

The other day my DSL modem died and it was going to be 3 days before they could ship me a new one. :grrr: I set up my router so that it pointed to the a computer running ICS and shared a dial-up line. Sure it was slow, but it worked. The newer versions of ICS are a lot easier to set up than it was with older versions of Windows but freeproxy or something like that is probably better, still.
folding4u

Post by folding4u »

I tried installing Freeproxy and even that was too much for me. I hate having to sell the crossover cable because of ecological reasons and buying electronics to do a simple task.
folding4u

Post by folding4u »

Yes! I finally got it up & running but not with Freeproxy but with this:

http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/downloa ... /proxy.htm

It has very simple and good instructions!
bruce

Post by bruce »

ICs does not use a crossover cable. It's basically router software. One device connects to your ISP and the other port connects to a LAN with multiple devices.