upload/download usage (average)

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

newuser123

upload/download usage (average)

Post by newuser123 »

Hope this is in the right place, it seems a newish question. For a time for 168hours (1week permanently folding) how much usage on average would be taken by F@H? and let's say I'm using just one client with the option to accept WU more than 10MB enabled. Core i7 860 if that helps.
k1wi

Re: upload/download usage (average)

Post by k1wi »

It depends on the type of work unit you're folding and the speed of your machine; the faster your machine the more work units you'll do and the more bandwidth you'll then use.

If you're folding on a i7 860, then I presume you're folding SMP work units? In such a case you'll find that most work units are around 25-50MB in upload size, plus some download usage. So you need to look at how quickly your machine will complete them. This depends on how much you use your computer for non-folding activities.

My friend had an i7 and we estimated over the course of a month he'd use about 1-2GBs.

If you're concerned at your usage, running the classic client will use considerably less bandwidth (but at the same time lower points).

k1wi
newuser123

Re: upload/download usage (average)

Post by newuser123 »

Kool so about 25-50mb in upload and download doesn't add much? I'm actually folding using multiple classic clients since I don't leave my PC while I sleep so folding time per day is less.
Those are some numbers I can work with tho that estimates my probable usage at 1GB/month give or take.
Thanks for the reply.